Skip to main content

Notes about going home

-the fall foliage is amazing

-gas is cheap

-i'm always greeted by the smell of skunk around the 61 exit on 55 and usually cow in the neighborhood where my parents live
-dad surprises me with quarters (and i'm genuinely really excited about it)
-i took my laundry home for the first time...ever.  Like a college student, except I never did that in college.  Better late than never ;)
-my parents make me take cold medicine
-i get to read the newspaper.  Dad likes the newspaper delivered so I check out the comics and sports section.  Anyone else still enjoy the feel of a real paper in their hands?  I do.
-waving.  I really try to remember to wave to people, but always seem to forget.  While driving Dad around running some errands, he was waving from the passenger seat.  Woops.
-arriving home and smelling a distant bonfire 
-Mom making me breakfast and sitting out in their sun room to eat.
-Mom making me bags of food to take back with me.  She asked if I wanted an apple and I said she already gave one to me.  Mom, "It's a long drive."  She asked if I wanted an orange with her tomatoes she grew in her garden (pesticide free she said).  (Which were deliciously juicy, by the way, thanks Mom.)  No thanks to the orange.  I looked in my bag when I got home and what did I find along with the tomatoes:  an orange.
-I love my favorite run in Ste. Gen:  on the old levee.  A gravel road surrounded by farm fields.  I just don't like the little stretch on highway 61 that has no shoulder and I run along.  I thought a semi was going to tip over and kill me...it didn't.
-The only time I use my brights is driving on 61 at night.  They still work.
-STARS (that you can actually see...besides the sun)  Yes, the sun is a star.  It's just so bright because it's so much closer than all the other stars.  (Thanks One World, One Sky.  I may not have seen the movie for over a year, but I can still quote it.)
-the cat who only likes mom
-For some reason trains are comforting to me (except when they stop traffic to cross).  Maybe it's because I grew up right up the hill from a train yard.  (Is that what they're called.)  I listened to them chug chug along and crash into each other during my run and loved it.
-Dad carries my stuff in and out for me. 
-Car wash!  (yes, I pitched in too... we split it)

-Reminiscing.  Mom always seems to find some ridiculous photo or video of us growing up and we all watch and look at how silly we were.  This trip our video of my siblings and I performing Achy Breaky Heart at Six Flags in 1994.  I snapped this photo and sent it to Jeff (Karen was there).
Jeff:  Oh no.  Where on earth did you find that
Me:  Haha.  Mom found the video.  She loves it.

-A stop at QT for my drink ;)  I'm probably better off that it's not available near me.  I would probably get it too much. 

-Singing happy birthday to grandma on the phone as a group.  (my throat was a bit scratchy at the time... sorry grandma) It's always more fun as a group.
-the carpet in my room remains the best carpet I've ever stepped on.  How I made such a great choice in grade school, I do not know.  Maybe I need my grade school decisiveness sometimes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Skyline Views

I finished reading My Heart is an Idiot a couple weeks ago.  The author lived in Chicago for a bit and had several essays in the book where he mentioned Chicago. In one essay he mentioned the skyline view from Augusta & Wood.  I was curious so I decided to go for a bike ride and check out this "amazing" view of the skyline. This was it, people.   Hmmm.... I think I had a better view on the Damen bridge just north of Fullerton on my way there.  I am a sucker for the unexpected skyline views around the city (like on Damen).  I'll also throw in the view from Chicago and Halsted.  Also the orange line between Western and 35th/Archer is pretty amazing.  Do you have any places you love to take in the unexpected view? I'm not talking the Adler... I consider that expected.

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike