Skip to main content

Road Trip!

Sorry I disappeared there for a bit.  I've been quite under the weather lately.  And I don't mean literally sick.  I mean the weather we've had around Chicago had me down.  My emotions are not happy when there isn't any sun...especially in May.

Okay...enough about that.

A few weeks ago, Mike really wanted to get out of town.  We checked our schedules and last weekend was the earliest one we thought would work.

We had a few places on our list like hiking at Matthiessen State Park, making our way to Galena for a night, and maybe going up to Spotted Cow Brewery on the way home?  We didn't exactly know when we set out.  (Note:  we did expect the weather to cooperate a bit more...but I guess we should be happy it didn't rain.)  We always tend to travel like this where we each have a few ideas and we see how much we can cram in.  It makes for a busy weekend!

Please note:  this is probably not the most efficient route to these places, but this is what we wanted to see a bit west.

Geneva
This was actually on Mike's list to visit Penrose Brewery, where he got to start his Chicago Craft Beer Week passport book a bit early.  We got to town early enough so we grabbed breakfast at Buttermilk and walked around the town for a bit.



Matthiessen State Park
It was so interesting to compare state parks right next to each other in the different seasons.  Starved Rock in the fall and Matthiessen in the spring.  We had fun hiking around and ended up covering the whole thing in about 3-4 hours. 



spring = lots of stairs that lead to creeks

Galena
We spent some time in Galena Saturday night and Sunday.  Saturday night we went to the Galena Brewing Company and I fell in love with the band.
Sunday we had some lunch downtown and just walked in their little shops.  There are quite a variety!

Field of Dreams
We took a detour Sunday morning to check out the Field of Dreams movie site.

Dubuque
We also took some time to explore Dubuque Sunday morning.  We took the Fenelon Place Elevator, walked by the river, and around the town.
 I got to pull the elevator bell!
hanging out with the mighty mississip

New Glarus Brewery
This was a bit out of our way...but we were in the general area :) And their brewery seemed like a perfect way to wrap up the weekend.  It was.  Especially their massive beirgarten, that almost seemed like a park.


A lot of our drive was two-lane highways with not a whole lot around us.  Luckily, we have different cell phone providers as it seemed one of us often had service when the other didn't (and we were using maps).  I said it would be fun to do a trip with just road maps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Photos

After admiring the leaves on our runs and my bike to work, we recruited my parents to take some photos of us there this weekend.   After these photos (and tackling some IT issues for my parents) we went to a birthday gathering at the jazz festival on Cherokee Street.  I liked it more than I thought I would. As the night wore on, I started chatting with one of the friend of a friend's there.  I started going in to what a crazy year and some change it's been and, whew, it really started to overwhelm me.   This morning, Mike woke up overwhelmed by our world/specifically our country.  I woke up with that conversation still in my head and also felt overwhelmed.  We treated ourselves to Sump Coffee and had a chat.  It's not always we sit down and talk about what we want and steps to get there. Fall feels like the perfect time to reset.  As we went through the day I also thought, it's okay to miss things in the past, but it woul...

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire ...

Concerts = ♡

Last week was an exceptional concert week for me.  I was lucky enough to catch San Fermin, The Mowgli's, & American Authors.  In one week! My sister, Karen, and I found out San Fermin would be in Chicago at LouFest when we went through the artist signing line.  (Correction: Karen participated in the artist signing line, while I hid behind her shoulder and Ellis, the composer/writer, reached out to me to introduce himself.  This band is full of quality people.  Just sayin'.  I get awkward around bands.)   So we followed through.  Found their show at the Metro (which could not be more convenient for us) and met up with Rubina, my friend, to enjoy their show.  So good.  We were not disappointed.  I was only minutely disappointed because for some reason I assumed they were headlining so when they didn't come out for an encore I was confused.  But then I realized they were the middle act and it made sense. ...