Skip to main content

week one at work

I MADE IT and i´m loving it!

It seems like the week went by so quickly, but SO much happened. I´ll try to write about a few highlights.

First word I learned at work compartir-share
2nd sit down (i´m still working on translating that correctly)

I´m working with 4 year olds and I love them. I am a I guess you would say teacher´s aide to Lulu. She´s 24 and has worked there 4 years. She´s amazing and very patient with me. She doesn´t speak English, but we´re doing just fine. We had our first close to conversation on Wednesday (in Spanish). She told me I´m getting better everyday which was very encouraging. As frustrating as it is it´s good for me to be on my own and try to make it work. (I keep my dictionary in my backpocket and all the kids make a game of trying to get it from me.) I think I was nervous Mon. & Tues. and Wednesday I did my best, but Thurs. & Fri. I was super tired and I think my spanish went down hill as well. She´s so patient with me though. And I know at the end of our "conversation" if one of us doesn´t get it we´ll just laugh. I think that´s where I speak spanish the best because I´m not nervous at all.

It seems the teachers get called out of their classes to have meetings often. When Lulu leaves I´m just fine with my kids, but then Wednesday I was asked to watch the 5 year olds while their teacher was gone. I said sure. Even though it was during the English lesson with my class (which is my favorite part of the day).The 5 year olds were insane. I got them to sing with me a little, but it was frustrating. Then when I got back to my class I was just so happy to walk through the door and away from those 5 year olds and my class all got up and gave me a group hug. It was exactly what I needed. They are wonderful! Then Lulu and I worked on a bulletin boad while they were at computer class, which involved coloring (more calming down for me) so I was better by recess.

Every morning Lulu and I start out the day tracing/drawing what the kids will use for their lesson that day. Wednesday we traced a page from a coloring book that was quite intriquite and worked my patience quite a bit. I just kept reminding myself to do a good job because they don´t have coloring books. It makes me think about all the blank pages in my coloring books from when I was little that I never used and now I trace pages so the kids can color them for their lesson. I was still happy when I was done.

Monday we started out with about 20 students, but Tuesday our class was split in half. They´re making lots of changes because attendance is way down this year. I´m not positive why, but I think because the economy. In Monterrey one priest we met with said if America suffers a ripple in the economy many other countries have like a tsunmi. It doesn´t cost a lot for the kids to come there, but it does cost something. Tuesday morning when half my class was walking out the door I was thinking ´Hey! Don´t take my kids away.´ I guess I get attached quickly.

Several kids call me Miss English (actually the majority of my class). I guess I earned that name. My only redeaming grace from looking extremely stupid is the english lessons. They call me Miss a lot and even teacher (maestra) sometimes. Thursday some kids called me Miss America when the English teacher told them I´m from America. I´m really glad that one didn´t stick.

I work everyday 9-2 or 2:30 ish. That´s when lunch ends and the kids start taking naps. It´s exhausting.

When I´m on my own I have to figure as much spanish out as I can and make the most of it. I went to Zumba alone Thursday night and I had some practice. First the owner called/motioned me into the office ealy and I was very confused and started asking about Zumba. He basically just wanted to know why me and my "amigos" are here. (I went to Zumba Tues. & Wed. with Melissa & Carolyn). Here I was attempting to explain. It was interesting to say the least. The conversation ended when they started collecting money (my conversations are still short here). The instructor played surfin´USA and I sang to Abbey (a 14 year old girl I met through Jess & Caro at the parish).
After Zumba ended Abbey´s mom or grandma didn´t show up to walk her home. No way was I going to let a 14 year old girl walk home alone. I may not be able to understand a conversation (yet), but I can pick up on body language and she was scared. We talked about it and I told her I would walk her home. We agree. Then she asks me if I want to run. I said absolutely. Here we were running through Santa Fe and it felt SO good. We only got to go about a block before Abbey stopped and kept saying there (good thing Melissa taught me that word that very day). Her mom and her sister, Karen, were coming I guess they were just a little late.

I love that everyday I leave work with markers and glue all over my hands and sometimes glitter all over me. I love that I leave everyday after lots of hugs and smiles and new words that I try to fit in my brain. Everyday is an adventure at the Guardaria.

Other random updates:
I am so tired. All the time basically. My brain works so hard trying to figure out spanish. I feel a little tickle in my throat right now, but I am working to prevent a cold. I ate a whole grapefruit for breakfast. Cold cold stay away.

Cat calls are everywhere. I´ve gotten really good at ignorning them. Maybe it´s because I think they´re so annoying. Yuck!

So the market´s here would not pass on sanitation. I feel like everywhere I look there´s raw chicken or something. I cringe a little and move on. That´s life and that´s what they´re used to. It´s interesting here when I tell someone I don´t eat meat they continue to ask me if I eat chicken, pork, fish, etc. They´re all in their own class here. Then they look at me like I´m crazy. =)

this is Mexican Independance month so the fiestas shall begin AND it´s caro´s birthday next sunday so we have something else as well. I love that here the day after Mexican Independance Day is Day of Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Skyline Views

I finished reading My Heart is an Idiot a couple weeks ago.  The author lived in Chicago for a bit and had several essays in the book where he mentioned Chicago. In one essay he mentioned the skyline view from Augusta & Wood.  I was curious so I decided to go for a bike ride and check out this "amazing" view of the skyline. This was it, people.   Hmmm.... I think I had a better view on the Damen bridge just north of Fullerton on my way there.  I am a sucker for the unexpected skyline views around the city (like on Damen).  I'll also throw in the view from Chicago and Halsted.  Also the orange line between Western and 35th/Archer is pretty amazing.  Do you have any places you love to take in the unexpected view? I'm not talking the Adler... I consider that expected.

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike