Skip to main content

summer reading

i haven't done this in awhile, but it's time for the book update...

the help by kathryn stockett  -  it honestly feels like so long ago that i read this book.  i should probably update this more often.  this was definitely before memorial day.  anywho.  this is an eye opening book set in the 1960s in the south.  it's told through three different characters and there are all kinds of things happening to think about.  i really enjoyed this book, even though it may not have the ending you expect.  i loved the ending personally, but i can see how you might now.  p.s. i also hear this is going to be a movie...
anna and the french kiss by Stephanie perkins - a bit of a mindless romance, but oh so cute!  it's an adorable little young love story.  super quick read.  karen read it after me and it was sitting on her coffee table waiting to be returned to the library.  i read my favorite parts again.  yep, sure did.
half the sky by nicholas d. dristof and sheryl wuDunn  -  this one was non-fiction.  it's good to mix things up.  this was an eye opener to what is happening to women all over the world.  the idea behind the book is to inform people so they'll do something to help.  i really liked at the end they provided many options for readers to help.
neverwhere by: neil gaiman  -  i loved the imagination in this book!  it's a super interesting story.  i whipped through this one too.  full of satire that's hard to ignore.
tale of two cities  by: charles dickens  -  i felt like this was slow at the beginning.  it definitely picked up at the end though where i was excited to know what happened next.  it sort-of leaves without confirmation things happen, but i kind-of like it like that.  
the history of love  by:  nicole krauss  -  i won't lie.  this one took me a bit to grasp who was who and what was going on.  after i finished the book i looked online and saw all these layers that i apparently missed.  and i thought, 'ohhhhh.'  for this one i'm just going to say it was a heartbreaking beautiful love story.
the scarlet letter - nathaniel hawthorne  -  i thought this one was a bit of a heartbreaker too.  i enjoyed reading it, but it was sad in the end.  i do think there are definite take aways from the book, though, and i really enjoyed thinking about those.

so if i had to pick one of these which would i pick.  that's a tough question this time.  #1 that's a pretty big list to pick from.  #2 there were lots of great reads.
if i had to pick i think i would say neverwhere.  it was full of so many twists and turns and i really enjoyed the thinking aspect involved with the satire.
then i would say anna and the french kiss because it's just so dang cute.  and it's a quick read so it won't waste too much of your time.
then the history of love.  heartbreaking, yes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!