Skip to main content

26 miles in 26 days

So the title isn`t exactly correct, but I ran a marathon yesterday and it was Melissa & my`s one month being here. But Caro helped me come up with the title and I thought it was catchy.

So marathon #2 and a completely different experience than the one I ran last year in Chicago.

Lisa Rottler Chamberlin is the name I ran the race with...I tried to sign up as Lisa Rottler, but it forced me to enter mom`s maiden name or i couldn`t continue with registration. the first difference

I experienced this marathon in a very different way. In Chicago I was competitive I would say. It was on my mind since February of last year when I signed up. I was didigent about training and very serious about it. This year I signed up like 3 weeks ago and it was very last minute. Although, I ran like I was training for the marathon this summer in Chicago-that was 2 months ago. Last year the weekend of the marathon I rested. This year Friday night I went to my first quinceanera
and got home at 4 am. Saturday we ran errands and at night we had some people over. Not exactly what I should`ve done, but I did and I don`t regret it at all.
I`m really happy I had the experience and i loved running.

Caro (ran the half) and i headed out our door at 6:15 (american time...meaning on time) to get a cab, but there weren`t cabs around at 6am so we hopped a bus to a busier area and then grabbed a cab there to take downtown. (The cab ride was $4...unbelieveable. I said that`s like 2 blocks in Chicago) Once we got there we saw a woman with a yellow bag like the one we got Saturday at packet pick-up and followed her. We followed her into the 7-eleven and everything (Caro wanted coffee anyway). Then we got to the port-or-potties and for some reason yesterday I checked to see if there was toliet paper (I generally don`t) there wasn`t any. So I thought, "alright i`ll head to the next one" I walked out and caro was standing there and asked if i brought any with me. I said no why would i do that. she said it`s super common that they don`t have toliet paper so we headed to 7-eleven to go buy some. They of course didn`t have any, but they did have napkins... =)

We found our way to the entrance for runners and we split. Caro`s race started about 2 hours later than mine so we wished each other luck and I headed off with the women marathoners.

I started the race with the other women. The start was different here all the women running the full marathon started first (there weren`t many...that`s for sure). Things started off great. They had a little ceremony and had the national anthem, which everyone around me sang...quite different than the US where the only person I know who sings the national anthem when it`s played is my dad. (He`s really good by the way...there have been several times the people around us compliment him after it`s over) So that made me think of Dad and then we started. I felt great I loved there wasn`t an enormous amount of people like in Chicago, but I also felt in general the runners here were more serious, which was a stark contrast to my unseriousness this time around.

Melissa, Jess, Marcos, & Ricardo saw me about km 7 and it was great to see them. I thought of that spotting many times throughout the race. In Chicago there are SO many spectators and so much going on and so many runners there is so much to think about. Here there were spectators, but not a lot. There weren`t near as many runners (at least I could stretch out my legs). There was very little entertainment along the route, but so it goes. There also wasn`t anything along the route to show my time so I was just sort-of going. Also they didn`t have any signs in miles so I computed a little and then stopped. I just knew it was 42 km. That`s actually a lie. At the beginning I thought it was 40.... =)
At first I challenged myself to try to read all the billboards (we were basically running on highways) and understand what they meant....

Then

I started feeling sick. And I mean really sick. My iron felt low all week and I thought I was getting better, but at about km 15 I knew i wasn`t better. Other runners started cheering me on. (In Chicago a lot of runners put their names on their shirts so people who don`t know them can cheer them on. This wasn`t necessary for me. They just called me little white girl and I knew they were talking to me. So I got a lot more cheers in this marathon...) I think I probably looked really bad because other runners were actually asking me if i was ok and some guys rubbed my back a little for encouragment as they passed. This just showed how nice everyone was and helpful. One woman offered me some food she had with her, which I didn`t recognize and there was no way I could accept, but it was nice anyway.

The spectators gave the runners what I would consider very different foods... lime, lots of candy, some brown liquid in a bag, mints (i guess that`s not so strange), other foods i didn`t know what they were, etc.

It was different to hear gun shots at least 4 different times during the race. It scared me a little at the beginning, but then I sort-of stopped noticing.

I talked with some of the other runners (yes they talked to me in spanish). I just kept thinking "i just want to finish this don`t make me think so hard and spanish!!" they were all very nice and encouraging.

When we were on one highway the metro was flying right by us and I thought, "i can`t wait to ride the metro here" and on the way home i got to!

after finishing (jess & marcos saw me come in and called the others to tell them how bad i looked) and sitting on the ground for Caro (who did AMAZING by the way) and i to rest and we celebrated and chatted then we headed to a veggie restaurant, which was very cute.
We sat outside and had many people selling things and mothers with their kids begging approach us. This brought up a lot of feelings and thoughts for me....

We were trying to make it back to Santa Fe for a skype date with the new missionaries, but we missed it... Boo. Sorry guys!

After mass I wanted to treat myself to what LOOKED like pretzel bread and I was all excited thinking of the 99 cent pretzel bread from Trader Joes. It was not the same. Boo. Oh well now I know. They insist on making everything sweet here. I`m not a huge fan of sweet, I`d take salty over sweet anyday.

Running I love. No doubt about it.

Hopefully I can make it to the park that Josue showed us last week or find other parks more often because I just love it.

i`ll put a pic up soon...they`re on marcos`s camera

-------------------------------------------------
p.s. cards clinch!!! believe it or not i`ve been doing the best i can to stay up on the game action down here and my dad`s been helping a lot by sending recaps of the games. THANKS DAD!

Comments

  1. Congratulations Lisa! I know running that marathon had to be really hard, but you did it again!
    Let me know sometime that you will be on Skype, I added you to my contacts but I can't tell if you are online until you contact me the first time. Greta and I got started on the kitchen remodel. Right now it looks like a disaster area, all of the tile is ripped of the walls and the drywall has to be replaced. Take care of yourself,
    Love,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!