Skip to main content

Beat It

So I realized yesterday I keep updating my blog about the fun things I`ve had the opportunity to do here, but work is a very important part of what I`m doing so I wanted to give an update on work.

One of my kids, Murat, LOVES to sing and dance to Beat It! Then it spreads to Felipe and I hear the song all day. In fact, I`ve heard it everyday for about the last 2 weeks. I love it when they do the spin. Murat loves to dance. He`s definitely a stinker, but I love him. I`m finding my balance with him because I think he misbehaves to get attention, but I don`t think it`s fair to give him all the attention and not give the good kids any...

I love everyday at the Guarderia because everyday is different. But things changed since the last time I wrote about it. I`m no longer working with Lulu. Essentially, an inspector came and removed Lulu from her position because she didn`t have some certificate so now I`m working with the same kids, but a very different teacher. Her name is Lucy. I like her too, but I`m still adjusting to her style and I miss Lulu. Lucy is 59 years old. She is very patient with the kids so I`m working well with that. Lots of please and not raising voices, which is great for me because during the transition period I was alone with the kids for almost a whole day and it was basically aweful. The worst day I`ve had here for sure.

We`re adjusting to each other though. She depends on me because I know the schedule (if you can even call it a schedule...for example, today the English Teacher didn`t come and no one came to tell us we just came up with another lesson for the kids to do) No one really goes by time, which is great for me because I still basically have no sense of time here i just know what comes after what and we make it work.

I still continue with my mornings of tracing the lesson for the day. I was so proud of myself though because Lulu would always write out the tarea (homework) once and I would copy it for all the kids. Lucy did that once and then Friday she told me what she wanted them to do and I tried to ask her to write it once, but she didn`t understand and left the room so I pulled out my dictionary and tried to make it work. Then Monday I was SO happy to see they understood and did their homework correctly!!!! Yea me!

I love my work and I love the kids. I love that everyday is different and I commonly find glue, paint, etc. on my clothes, hands and in my hair after the day. I love recess when kids come up to me tell me what happened, I walk over to them, get the other side of the story, figure out who actually did something wrong, make sure there is no blood and rub the sore spots and tell the kid who did something wrong to apologize. They apologize and they both run off and continue to play together and that`s it. Love it!

I think the fact that I have good handwriting gave me some brownie points with Lucy and I think she`s warming up to me. I just felt like I had to go through the same get to know you, get to know your style twice. She has different songs (just as I was REALLY trying to learn Lulu`s). No more singing in english for me...yet. We`ll see.

Lulu`s supposed to come visit Friday though so I`m excited to see her again!!!!


Comments

  1. this post made me happy. glad you're enjoying yourself. much love xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike