Skip to main content

Independencia de México

Mexican Independence Day was yesterday!

My celebrations started Monday at work. They always have a "ceremony" Monday morning with the national anthem and other things that I don`t know what they are.

This Monday the students were allowed to bring Mexican toy instruments. And wear bows and such for patriotism, on girl, Xion, had fake long braids. The 4 year olds, including 3 students from my class, wore special hats and they were some of the niño heroes (sept. 13). They did such a good job with their lines I just smiled and felt proud.

As I traced the Mexican flag 12 times for the lesson I was very happy it wasn`t the American flag. So much detail. (I didn`t have to trace the crest in the middle) =)


Tuesday more students sported patriotic gear and we decorated more flags and had another ceremony, this one involved marching around & around the little play area and lots of horn blowing.

Lunch was a special celebratory lunch of pozle, a corn dish of some sort. They`re little tiny balls so they take a lot of time to make. I said no pollo for me and they assumed that meant to extra pollo on top, but it was soup so there was of course shredded pollo in it. Oh man I said when I got the soup and I stood there and picked around all the chicken. It took me a very long time!


We went to the Zócalo for the festivities at night. Mexican Independence Day was Wednesday, but most of the festivities are Tuesday night. Melissa was really sick (actually she still is) so she couldn`t come and we missed her a lot.

It was very interesting.
It was raining and there was lots of confetti and foam on the ground and on everyone (including me).
There were so many people and many police officers as well. First there was a line of them with shields that we all pushed against to get by (I don`t really know why...I definitely didn`t have a choice with the pressure behind me).
Then we waited to get through the metal detectors which seemed a bit silly because it didn`t seem to stop much. I had keys & a camera in my pockets and I just walked right through. Very different than in the US if you were going to see the President.

We got there at perfect timing and watched the President and his wife walk through the building (on TV monitors) and walk to the balcony.


He exclaimed "Viva (insert many war hero's names)" everyone "Viva"

"Viva la virgin of Guadalupe" "Viva"

"Viva la mexico" "Viva"


Then the national anthem played.

Then the fireworks started. I found it very interesting that many Mexicans left at this point. They just wanted to declare their love for their country. In the US the 4th is basically just fireworks. It`s different. The fireworks were set off from all the buildings surrounding the Zócalo so I just kept turning round and round.


We started making our way back to the car after many patriotic songs and the fireworks ended.


On the way out I was very happy to witness first hand another tradition of the holiday. Breaking eggs on people`s heads. They`re filled with confetti. I`m not sure how they`re made, but they use the egg, save the shell, dye it, fill it with confetti and close it back up again. While we were walking out two little kids were taking part in the tradition. One little boy had his head leaned over and a little girl, his sister (?), broke the confetti egg right on his head & it went everywhere.


On the walk back there was a police officer going after some guy. I have no idea what the guy did, but the officer slammed the guy against the wall with his shield. At this point I quickly headed behind some port-or-potties to shield my eyes. I was disgusted. Not a fan.


We finished up the evening dancing & singing youtube karaoke.

Me, Caro, Jess
Wednesday was the actual day & no work for me, which i enjoyed. I was happy to see vendors who usually work everyday of the week took the day off. Everyone needs a break to rejuvenate.
Wednesday was also one of our friends birthday`s. I arrived to the party late, but it was great to celebrate with him as well. Issac coached me though Las Mananitas so I could participate the most I have yet.
What a great holiday?!!?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!