Skip to main content

marathon recap

(warning:  this is a long one)


so i didn't pr.  i didn't get my goal.  but i had so much fun!  and finished my 3rd marathon.


i started fast.  too fast.  like 6 min miles.  for the first 4 miles ish.  and then i felt like i was going to die.  i kept going at like 8 min miles for several more, but i just kept getting slower and slower.  i didn't want to take the chews or gels (nothing felt good in my mouth).  i actually threw up some chews and couldn't even finish one gel and was very tempted to spit it out.


around 14-17 miles i wanted to quit and i felt awful.


and then i decided i would have fun.  i realized i wasn't going to pr.  nor was i going to get my goal so i would enjoy myself.  i have endurance, i don't have speed.  the last six miles i totally hammed it up and i felt pretty awesome too (after I recovered from the start).
*i went out of my way to give high fives (the kids loved it)
*i talked to several spectators
*i danced when i passed music
*i posed for the pictures



*and the last three miles i smiled the entire way, like an idiot.  one spectator looked at me and said "she looks good."  no, i know i didn't, but i made the best of it.


the spectators were amazing, as usual.  i heard several other runners comment on how wonderful the spectators in chicago are.  they sure are!  lucky for me i knew people spaced out on the course.
*i saw karen around mile 9 and gave her a high five =)  she was by the finish line too, but i missed her.
*i saw a co-worker around mile 15
*i saw another co-worker (in my hamming it up time), around mile 20.  he didn't see me so i yelled his name, but i kept running so i didn't know if he saw me or not.  (he didn't) the couple standing next to him cheered for me instead ;)  oh how i love pilsen.  
Even though he didn't see me... he was holding this sign =)
(yeah, he's one of the few people who works at the adler and enjoys space)
*my co-worker who works on sundays came to the 26 mile spot during her lunch break and yelled my name.  i definitely heard it and looked around, but it was super crowded so i couldn't find her.  she was happy i heard her though.
*i really loved the woman on ashland who said "this part of ashland, sucks!  keep going, you'll get off it soon."  it does.


i keep asking myself what went wrong and i'm not quite sure.  
*i think i went out way too fast (like 6 min miles) for the first few miles.  
*i totally stressed myself out for it.  before i always felt like whatever happens, happens.  this time i didn't.  i'm not a competitive person so this sort-of thinking is not my nature.  i was second guessing myself for everything the entire week.
*it was hot.  probably the hottest start of any marathon i've run.  i ran through SO many hoses.  thanks to the spectators for that.


so i finished with a time of 4.26.  not even close to my 3.54 pr, but so much fun =)
Karen & I after.  (notice her sign too)
BEFORE at the expo on Friday I ran into one of my friends from DePaul that i haven't seen in way too long.  she was working at the clif booth and got off as I got there so we were able to walk around together and catch-up a little.  (and she hooked me up with some clif product!)  =)




AFTER Monday I walked out of my apartment building to see Eddie, my building manager, I waved and he immediately asked if I ran yesterday.  I said yes.  And he said he noticed how I was walking.
Yeah.  I was waddling.
Sunday when we went out you could pick out the runner immediately by the way they walked waddled.
Monday I went and hung out with my fellow waddlers at Fleet Feet for their Recovery Monday event.  I got my medal engraved, massage, stretched all for free.
Goose Island took care of us too.  Right after I got passed the gatorade at the finish they gave out beers.  Then I had a coupon for a free beer in the after-party (i gave that one to karen).  And they gave out 312 at Recovery Monday too!  Thanks Goose Island!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike