Skip to main content

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo!

I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh

I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh

So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).  

He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back.

I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment).

This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke.

Then Mike said just throw water on it.  I have heard before this is bad.  Maybe they are referring to grease fires.  It worked.  The fire went out and I sat in the corner waiting for the fire alarm to stop.  (Note: this is false, I stood on a chair, frantically waving a towel at it, hoping the smoke would move away while my eyes burned.  Also note: it didn't work.)

Finally the alarm stopped.  Mike offered to leave work and come home, which I declined.  I called Karen and debated not going to my get together.  She encouraged me to go and my heart kept racing.

I was distracted the entire time I was with my friends, but I'm glad I still went.  I had no idea what the damage was, just that a cutting board we stored in the bottom drawer caught on fire.  The same items I had in the stove drawer at my old place.  Needless to say I will never use that drawer ever again, anywhere...ever.

I got home and Mike had cleaned everything up (and thrown out everything that was in the drawer).  I was so incredibly relieved.  Words can't explain.

The oven was good as new and I'm currently afraid of it, which I guess is okay in the summer...

As I look now it seems I did everything you're not supposed to do with a kitchen fire.  Maybe it worked because it was a cutting board (while it was happening I had no idea what it was).  So I write this to encourage you to read a quick article on fire safety because it all happened so fast.  My call with Mike was 15 minutes and he stayed on the phone a bit after the fire was out.  It felt like an hour, my heart was racing.  RACING!

And see if you have a fire extinguisher.  

Comments

  1. I'm glad it wasn't worse and that everybody is ok! I can only imagine how fast your heart was beating...so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, this sounds EXACTLY like something that would happen to me. Especially the frantic smoke wafting part - always seems to work for other people, what are we doing wrong??

    Charlotte x
    Fox Socks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Charlotte. Completely agree!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Veggie Tinga

I made Vegetarian Tinga for a mexican pot luck I went to on Tuesday.


Many people have never heard of Tinga, let alone knowing you can make it vegetarian style.  You absolutely can!  And it's so easy.


Traditional tinga is made of shredded chicken with chipotle flavoring.  I used cabbage instead of the chicken.


I looked at a lot of different recipes online, but couldn't find a recipe for the veggie tinga I had in mind, so I ended up combining the guidelines of those recipes and making my own.


Here's what I did:


1 onion
1 head of cabbage
1 7oz. can chipotle (the peppers in adobo sauce)
5 ish roma tomatoes
olive oil


-Saute onion in olive oil.
-Chop cabbage (I used youtube to help me figure out the best way to do that) add to onion and saute.
-Blend the chipotle and tomatoes in blender.
Note:  Some people only like to add the sauce from the chipotle peppers.  I added the entire can (including the peppers themselves).  It's up to you depending on how spicy you want it.  (I like my food s…

5 Year Journal - Again

I know I've mentioned my 5 year journal here before, but now that I'm in my second year and everyday I get to look back at what I did that day last year I can't tell you how much I love it.  And I imagine I will love it more and more as the years go on.  I'm already dreaming of year 5!  

It takes a maximum of 5 minutes to jot down a few notes from the day and then you move on.

I have this one.  (I'm pretty sure it was more than $12 when my grandma got it for me so that looks like a steal.)
But this one looks amazing!

I turned 30!

Guys, I turned 30 a week ago!  And had my big celebration almost two weeks ago.  It's been a busy couple weeks, but I'm here, now, to tell you about it!

Celebration #1
I started the celebrations with a small Logan Square bar crawl.  It was honestly really fun.  I really wasn't sure what to expect.  With us starting at 3 and traveling to 4 bars I assumed we would be done by ... 8:30..?  I got home at 12:30.  Whew.  My friends know how to party.

We started at Hopewell at 3.  I think this was the perfect first stop for a few reasons.  Hopewell is BUSY on the weekends, even during the day.  This was an easy place for people to filter in and gather as they were able to make it, in a bright and energetic place.  Then as it got more and more busy, we moved on.  Don't get there any later than 3 if you're meeting a group.  We got one of the last "spaces" when we walked in.

Then we traveled down Milwaukee to Rocking Horse.  This was a last minute decision.  I leaned th…