Skip to main content

little good deeds

This week many people did little good deeds for me that I really appreciate.  
For example, Monday I was grocery shopping in Trader Joe's getting ready to get a new watch battery for a beloved watch that the battery's been dead for a few years.  Needless to say I was excited.  I was paying for my groceries and as I grabbed my wallet, my watch fell out onto the ground, unbeknownst to me.  A lovely lady checking out next to me picked it up and gave it back to me.  Man, I would have been sad when I got to the watch place to find I had no watch.  Thank you lady.


Example #2:  On Monday again, before Trader Joe's I pulled up (on my bike) to the watch place I eyed for awhile for my long awaited new battery.  I was there right before it opened and while my brain was deciding whether to wait it out or come back later a nice lady came up and asked if I was getting a battery replaced.  I said yes.  She said there was another place a few blocks away that was less expensive.  Yes!  I hopped right on my bike and followed her directions. Granted her directions were quite off and I wondered around aimlessly for quite awhile, but I did eventually find a different watch place, where the prices were reasonable so I'm going to assume it's the one she mentioned.  Thank you lady.


Example #3 Karen & Phil brought me my long awaited Donut Vault donut to work on Saturday!
consider yourself lucky you even got to see the birthday cake one before i devoured the whole thing.
it was delicious!
i was quite full afterwards.


Believe it or not there were a couple others throughout the week too.


I do think I paid back the universe on Saturday when an Asian group (who was blocking the whole lakefront path) stopped me on my bike and asked for directions.  That was interesting.
And I went to see Luminous Field at Millennium Park.  It was very busy and I wish I counted how many pictures I took for people.  Here are some of my own:








I'm also gearing up for lent and I've decided what I'll do this year.  I'm giving up sweets, which I normally do so at this point it's not a big deal.  And I'm going to try real hard to do a good deed everyday.  It doesn't have to be huge (although a few of them should be substantial), but something.
What do you have planned for Fat Tuesday?  
Mardi Gras is a pretty big deal where I grew up and in nearby St. Louis the weekend before so the fact that in Chicago there isn't really any sort-of celebration until Fat Tuesday is always a bit of a adjustment for me.  
Although I guess it balances out because in Chicago St. Pat's is a big deal and not so much in St. Louis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!