Skip to main content

Sunlight Above the Clouds

You may have noticed the past few months I've traveled more and more outside the midwest for work.  This is going to continue.  And it is reaffirming the fact that I am through and through a midwestern girl.  This week in Rhode Island after unit after unit continued to follow the norm and be extremely rude, I had to take a breathe between each unit to collect myself before my next beating.  Let's be real:  a person can only take so much.

The only word I think comes close to explaining my frame of mind right now is overwhelmed.  Extremely.  With all parts of life:  professionally and personally.  I have my life planned out to the moment and there doesn't seem to be a moment of downtime until at least the end of next week.

The week in Long Island was the same as all the others:  twelve hour days, not very nice people (although from my experience New York takes this to another level).  All I wanted to do was go home...exactly when New York got hit with the Noreaster or whatever they called it.  Southwest canceled all their flights.  I got a new one with a connecting flight.  It's just overwhelming.

The light in the tunnel has been Hilary, my co-worker based in LA.  We struggled to get through the week with calls and text messages to each other.  We'd complain and end up talking about almond champaign.  To quote one of my emails to her "Vendormate=Death".  

After everyone boarded my first flight out of NY we sat down to hear the pilot inform us that we were in a quite extensive line to be deiced.  

this was my view for 1+ hours

Then we took off.  And this is what I saw.
Hope.
I realized I missed my connecting flight and while I was bummed, I was still happy just to get out of NY.  Then!  It turned out the plane I was on (and extremely delayed) was the one I was booked on for Chicago!  I didn't miss my flight!!!!

I'm trying to focus on that experience.  After we rose through the slush, waiting, and bumpy clouds.  The sun was waiting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Veggie Tinga

I made Vegetarian Tinga for a mexican pot luck I went to on Tuesday.


Many people have never heard of Tinga, let alone knowing you can make it vegetarian style.  You absolutely can!  And it's so easy.


Traditional tinga is made of shredded chicken with chipotle flavoring.  I used cabbage instead of the chicken.


I looked at a lot of different recipes online, but couldn't find a recipe for the veggie tinga I had in mind, so I ended up combining the guidelines of those recipes and making my own.


Here's what I did:


1 onion
1 head of cabbage
1 7oz. can chipotle (the peppers in adobo sauce)
5 ish roma tomatoes
olive oil


-Saute onion in olive oil.
-Chop cabbage (I used youtube to help me figure out the best way to do that) add to onion and saute.
-Blend the chipotle and tomatoes in blender.
Note:  Some people only like to add the sauce from the chipotle peppers.  I added the entire can (including the peppers themselves).  It's up to you depending on how spicy you want it.  (I like my food s…

Moisturizer

I said when I turned 30 in January I was going to start using moisturizer.  Now, 6 months later, I can say I've kind of achieved the goal, but not really...

I have a moisturizer from several years ago, which I received as a Christmas gift.  I used it off and on over the years, mostly off.  I've probably used it more this year than ever before, granted the bar was very low.

I don't like it though.  I don't like the smell or really how it feels either.

Then I heard True Botanicals released a lower-priced Basics collection designed for younger skin, technically for people in their 20s, but whatever.  I decided to try their hydrating oil (the smallest one) to see if I am able to be consistent with use.

First impression: I'm still figuring out how much to use, but I love the smell.

Registration

*Karen tells me that is not what I'm supposed to say, but it makes sense in my head...

Saturday I was in San Antonio for work, I did get to hang out with a friend while I was in town so that definitely made the trip better, combined with the fact that the volunteers there are just wonderful.

I knew Sunday was going to be overwhelming before I left on Friday.  I always write lists when I'm overwhelmed, I wrote a list.  (Even though I hardly referenced it on Sunday.)  Just writing it down helps me feel better.

Sunday we registered for at two places, starting at 9am.  When we finished the second one (which we were both dragging ourselves through) it felt like it was time for bed...it was 2pm.  Guys, this experience brought so much clarity to people's registerys.  I would not necessarily say it was a fun experience.  And I am very happy Mike seems to have a vision because we would limit the insane number of options down to a couple options together and then I would say I don'…