Skip to main content

Modern Day Snail Mail

I'm such a sucker for the "old" way of communicating.  Cards in the mail.  Let alone a LETTER!  Something on a typewriter!  Be still my beating heart!  

I came across a few different projects or apps that can fuse the two together!

First of all.  One I use.  Possibly a lot.
justWink.

You may have heard ads for this app on Spotify, if you're still cheap like me and won't pay for the premium no ad version.  You can send cards to your friends/family from your phone.  You can personalize the cards with pictures and even signing your name with your finger.  I've been using this app a lot the past few months and just can't get enough.  
Hilary, my co-worker, and I often utilize it too much?  We had a conversation through these cards once.  
I just can't explain how much I love them.
Yes, it's free.

Second.  
Um I love this project: Modern Day Snail Mail.

The website may be a bit difficult to get right away, but this lady writes out all her text responses, takes a picture and the picture is her response. 

Some things she learned from the project:
I learned a few things...

1) A phone isn't only a texting device.
2) People like to plan phone calls these days, rather than receive them randomly.
3) My personality shined through so well that one friend texted back "it's like you're here with us!"...but then she followed up a few messages later that "it's almost like you’re deaf and passing notes around in the room."
4) Having a pen and paper is handy at all times. 
5) My lack of a timely response really just meant that I didn't have a pen and paper around.
6) My messages sent were more thoughtful in the "I used complete thoughts" type of way.
7) You look super silly if you completely ignore all that you learned in English classes. Impeccable grammar and flawless spelling is necessary for a handwritten note. 
8) I wonder if a lack of response all together meant people didn't remember their loops and swoops aka cursive... 
9) Writing a message and driving is more dangerous than texting and driving.*This is an educated guess. 
10) We are a culture that heavily relies on emojis. 
11) It was indicated multiple times that people feel more "special" when they received handwritten messages. 
12) For those who didn't comment the handwritten responses and continued messaging normally just affirmed that my friends think this is something that I'd do on a day-to-day basis…which is definitely true. 
I love it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!