Skip to main content

Phones at the Table

I know I've talked about technology in our world before and my resistance to it.  I'm not sure if resistance is the right word because I'm definitely a technology user, no denying that.  Maybe my biggest worry is letting it take over and get in the way of relationships.  I can seriously not explain how annoyed I am when whomever I'm with (especially if we're eating) pulls out their phone.  Especially multiple times.  I literally take deep breaths.  And I keep telling myself it's the way of the world.  But honestly, I don't care, and I'm recognizing Yes, I will have to deal with it, but I don't have to like it.  Ever.

I've lately read so many articles about this; they seem to be popping up everywhere (huff post blog, npr (*see end for why this one resonated in particular), even buzzfeed) so it gets me thinking further...

Where does this come from?  Let me start with a story:

Over Easter I sat down to lunch with my parents and I was trying to help them with something on their phones.
Me:  Ugh.  Why won't this work?
Dad:  Because phones don't work at the table.

Boom.  I hadn't even realized I was doing it.  My biggest pet peeve.  
I pushed away the phones and waited to poke around until we were done eating.

I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree???

I grew up in a family where the vast majority of the time, sat down to dinner (with everyone there) at 5:30 every night and if the land line phone rang, it was ignored or answered with annoyance.  It was family time.  
Maybe that's why I get so annoyed?  Maybe I'm searching?

I love being disconnected, even though it's a bit disconcerting at first.  I'm actually really good at disconnecting, which may be an annoyance to some friends.

*I was so annoyed with myself on a disconnected trip, I pulled up my phone and I was completely distracted from what was happening right in front of me with my nephew.  I came so close to completely missing the moment.  I immediately threw down the phone I was angry with myself (and the phone too).

Being in the moment is sometimes hard in this world we live in.  It takes a decision to be in the moment, rather than just being.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Veggie Tinga

I made Vegetarian Tinga for a mexican pot luck I went to on Tuesday.


Many people have never heard of Tinga, let alone knowing you can make it vegetarian style.  You absolutely can!  And it's so easy.


Traditional tinga is made of shredded chicken with chipotle flavoring.  I used cabbage instead of the chicken.


I looked at a lot of different recipes online, but couldn't find a recipe for the veggie tinga I had in mind, so I ended up combining the guidelines of those recipes and making my own.


Here's what I did:


1 onion
1 head of cabbage
1 7oz. can chipotle (the peppers in adobo sauce)
5 ish roma tomatoes
olive oil


-Saute onion in olive oil.
-Chop cabbage (I used youtube to help me figure out the best way to do that) add to onion and saute.
-Blend the chipotle and tomatoes in blender.
Note:  Some people only like to add the sauce from the chipotle peppers.  I added the entire can (including the peppers themselves).  It's up to you depending on how spicy you want it.  (I like my food s…

Registration

*Karen tells me that is not what I'm supposed to say, but it makes sense in my head...

Saturday I was in San Antonio for work, I did get to hang out with a friend while I was in town so that definitely made the trip better, combined with the fact that the volunteers there are just wonderful.

I knew Sunday was going to be overwhelming before I left on Friday.  I always write lists when I'm overwhelmed, I wrote a list.  (Even though I hardly referenced it on Sunday.)  Just writing it down helps me feel better.

Sunday we registered for at two places, starting at 9am.  When we finished the second one (which we were both dragging ourselves through) it felt like it was time for bed...it was 2pm.  Guys, this experience brought so much clarity to people's registerys.  I would not necessarily say it was a fun experience.  And I am very happy Mike seems to have a vision because we would limit the insane number of options down to a couple options together and then I would say I don'…

5 Year Journal - Again

I know I've mentioned my 5 year journal here before, but now that I'm in my second year and everyday I get to look back at what I did that day last year I can't tell you how much I love it.  And I imagine I will love it more and more as the years go on.  I'm already dreaming of year 5!  

It takes a maximum of 5 minutes to jot down a few notes from the day and then you move on.

I have this one.  (I'm pretty sure it was more than $12 when my grandma got it for me so that looks like a steal.)
But this one looks amazing!