Skip to main content

Oktoberfest

The basics of Oktoberfest is it traditionally starts in the third weekend in September and ends the first Sunday of October.  The first Oktoberfest was started in Munich and was a royal wedding celebration in 1810.  Horse races in the presence of the royal family marked the close of the event that was celebrated as a festival for the whole of Bavaria. The decision to repeat the horse races in subsequest years gave rise to the tradition of Oktoberfest.  The festival continued to evolve and included beer for the first time in 1818.  As the horse races became less popular, fairgrounds developed and the number of beer stands swelled until they became beer tents and halls in 1896. (via)

I remember in Nuremburg they were starting to set-up for Oktoberfest as we were leaving and they had posters up advertising when the traveling festival would be in town and I fell in love.

The last two years I went to an Oktoberfest street festival in Chicago and I started feeling ripped off and I didn't want to go this year.

Last weekend, Mike & I made our way to Chicago Brauhaus in Lincoln Square for some Oktoberfest celebrating.  Best decision!

They had authentic music, a band, a lively atmosphere, fun Oktoberfest beer, and a giant pretzel!  (Oh, and an adorable couple that I kept staring at the entire night as they danced.  They had to be at least 80 and they were so put together!  The lady was wearing an outfit I would probably wear (and complain about the heels the entire night).  And the man was in a suit.  And they could dance.  Effortlessly!  I told Mike I want to be like that lady when I'm 80.)

If you're going with any more than two people in the next few weeks, I would make a reservation.  It was packed and we got lucky that there was a high top in the bar we could sit at when we got there.

But, seriously, it was so fun!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!