Skip to main content

Places

Do you ever think of somewhere and just the thought makes you smile?

As we drove to Chicago over the weekend for a memorial, I had quite a bit of time to think.  Because, friends, I didn't sleep.  I almost always take a little nap while Mike drives me on a road trip. 

Whistler

I've actually only been to Whistler twice.  And both times were just so good.

#1 Mike & I had just decided it probably made more sense to look to buy a house in St. Louis and we were going on our first house hunting visit that weekend.  We ended up at the Whistler patio.  As we discussed (read: googled) if it's necessary to have a realtor (answer: yes, very much so.  oh the things we learned...) to look at houses, we made friends with the outdoor bartender.  We watched his supplies as he set-up, he gave us shots as a thank you.  Good people, good times.  The night ended arriving at Dante's as they closed and Mike getting a free slice from one of the workers walking out with a free pizza.  He ate it while we walked the streets of Logan Square home.  Good night.
This was not at the Whistler, but it was the same night.  Mike had his first "Chicago handshake" at the pop-up Emporium had going at the time.  It was block party inspired. 

#2 My bachelorette party.  There was only one other group on the patio.  (Are you sensing a theme?  The patio is where it's at.)  Such a good group of people having essentially the entire patio to ourselves talking and laughing about who knows what.  Yes.
This is where Karen decided it was time for me to wear my sash... 

I almost worry I shouldn't go back and risk tainting this wonderful, wonderful place in my mind.

There are two breweries that make me think a feeling of home: DryHop and Hopewell.

DryHop opened during one of the many years I lived in Lakeview.  I went a lot.  Their brews are always changing so it encourages repeat visits.  I try to avoid going on weekends if possible, it gets busy, friends.  But even when I do/did go on weekends and battle the crowds, it's worth it.  It's not like some other places where I get to overwhelmed and regret the stop.  When Mike & I would talk about places we missed from our old neighborhoods when we moved to Logan Square, DryHop was always on my list.

Hopewell was the place after we moved to Logan Square that convinced me I would adjust.  Soon after we moved, I walked there after work for my own solo, card making, happy hour.  We went there countless times.  In fact on my last night in Chicago (Mike already left with the truck) Karen and I went there and she purchased us one of their glasses, which we love.

For some reason I'm feeling nostalgic over here.  Don't people say that's a sign change is coming?  I'm hoping things will settle for a bit, we've had enough change for right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!