Skip to main content

A Check-In

Hey Friends!  I'm still here!

I've been meaning to write an update for quite some time, I just haven't set aside the time.  It's been a bit of a rough summer over here.  I was laid off from my job at the end of June.  Since I was the primary bread winner in our family things have been pretty stressful while I look for a new one.  Hence, I've been job hunting 7 days a week.

If I've learned anything it's that there are lows and highs.  Last week I got a call for an interview at a highly desirable organization and an email for a second round somewhere else.  That was a high.  (My mouth fell open when I got the voicemail for an interview at the desirable organization.)  Then I had the interview this week, found out their typical job interview process takes 2 months and I still haven't heard anything further about the second round interview.  So yesterday was a low.

Note: most weeks if I had 2 interviews it's a real win!  I think my feeling down this week was a combination of a few things, including the fact that I've had a cold and was unable to run for a week.  Friends, running is a big part of my life and keeps me level minded.  I enjoy running all the time, but in this time it's become more important than ever.  I'm happy to say I had a solid 8 mile run this morning and I'm feeling much better than yesterday.  If you're going through a rough time, take care of yourself.  How are you doing?  If you want to chat, let me know!

We went on our honeymoon (which was amazing!) and I decided I would write short stories as I applied for jobs.  Once we got home, I picked up a notebook to jot down ideas between writing cover letters for two days before the all encompassing cover letter writing took priority.  And after writing cover letters all day, I have no desire to write more.  (Which is also partly what took me so long to get here.)

This summer was not a bust though.  We went to The Muny several times (heyyyyyy free seats!).  We celebrated Mike's birthday.  We celebrated Karen's birthday.  We did the Ghost Ride.  We went to lots of Cardinals games, thanks to the gift Mike gave me for my birthday.  We took a quick trip to Nebraska for Mike's sister's engagement.

With all this said, I'm truly doing okay.  I have a great support system.  Boy, do I have some friends and family who are amazing.  Unfortunately, several of my friends have been laid off so they get it.  They check-in with me, send me cards, see how I'm doing.  My sister has been incredibly supportive, even sending cookies from a local place after my interview this week at the great organization where I found their hiring process typically takes 2 months.  My parents are also riding the encouraging train always trying to make any connections.  Last week my mom took me to Trader Joe's and it was amazing!  I love Aldi, but when every other grocery store option has been removed, it's not quite as fun.  And I'm not sure if Mike would be quite so quick to answer at this point, but several weeks ago I looked at him and asked, "Am I ever going to get a new job?"  He didn't hesitate for one second before answering, "Yes."
We rode our bikes over to the Great American Balloon Race last weekend and it was just so great.

I don't want this to come off the wrong way.  It's just challenging.  I'm trying to be reasonable with job hunting in that I don't want to take a position just to take a job with the intention to leave as soon as possible.  I've been trying to break in to the temp world to get by until I can find something more permanent, but that's been challenging in St. Louis too.

So if you know anyone in the STL, hit me up!

Happy Friday, everyone!  Enjoy your weekend and I will try my best to check-in more often because I think this is good for me too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!