Skip to main content

Sun Up to Sun Down Waterpark Fun

We started out the day Saturday with more typical Mexican occurances. Ivonne told us he couldn`t come any more the night before because he had to take pictures at confirmation, which has been planned for a long time and he was one of the main planners. He even bought all the food Friday. Then Pool, the person who`s birthday we were celebrating-so we were all going to a water park for him-backed out. Caro: "So we`re all celebrating Pool`s birthday without Pool?" But the 9 of us set off.

We watched the sunrise as we drove.

More interesting things to note about Mexican driving:
-it is a law to wear your seatbelt, but from what I`ve observed no one does and they notice if you do and generally ask about it
-there is a red line in places in case your brakes go out and you are supposed to follow it and it ends off the road in dirt
-there are tolls that are quite pricey we went about 2 hours away and paid 3 tolls ($5.30, $3, $3)
-no need for google map directions (or at least they`re not generally used) you know the general direction you`re going and follow the signs (the highways weren`t quite as complicated) they had no problem asking for directions off the street though. We`d pull over and usually it was Christobel "Hola amiga..." always amiga even though we`ve never seen them before in our life

We arrived in Ixtapan on a nice, but quite cloudy day.
We ate breakfast before entering the waterpark. Apparently it`s typical to make coffee in brown sugar and then drain it or something, which isn`t super enjoyable to someone who likes their coffee black, but it`s still nice to try it the way the locals do.

We entered the park basically when it opened around 9 and hopped in the natural spring water. Honestly when I first saw it I was a little hesitant because it was very brown, but it was so warm and felt so nice.

Then we headed to the outside to hit up the slides. It definitely had a chill in the air and the clouds covering up the sun didn`t help me to warm up. And my lip turned blue which drew a lot of attention from our group, but I wasn`t going to let a few clouds stop me.
(The sun came out later pretty hard core)

Melissa and I felt a little awkward at first in our 2 piece swim suits, but that`s all we had so we walked from ride to ride wrapped in a towel. Actually even most the men put on their t-shirts to walk from ride to ride.

We started on the slides and were having a great time with no lines. I started talking about this and our Mexican friends said Sundays are really busy there, which at first I thought was strange, but I guess most people here work Saturdays.

The scenery was beautiful! The rides weren`t piled on top of each other, they were quite spread out. There was a lake with ducks and fish. It was so nice to see nature again since we don`t see much of it in Santa Fe.

They had a wave pool and everything...basically all the things you can think of in a waterpark. I especially enjoyed teaching the boys some yoga in the shallow part of the wave pool.

We brought our lunch (which they gave us no problem carrying right through the entrance and storing all day). It was pretty typical mexican:
-bread loaves where the inside is peeled out (we fed theirs to the ducks) and the heel is rarely eaten (my favorite part)
-beans
-ham (none for me please)
-chipotle
-cheese
-tomatoes
-avacodes
-onions
-lettuce
-manoyse
So everything was set out and you could pick what you wanted for your sandwich.

We ended up closing down the park and watching the sun set on our way home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!