Skip to main content

december/christmas celebration in mexico

So I'm going to try to summarize my month to give an idea of Christmas in Mexico

Presents
The girls brought Christmas a little early when they went to a nicer area of Mexico City and bought some food that you can't find in Santa Fe. I was excited about bagels and hummus...yum. In fact, the morning after they bought it I was so excited I woke up early and throughly enjoyed a bagel.
I formed a Christmas list which consisted mostly of hygiene products (I mean that's what I actually need), but also had some things I miss (Trader Joe's trail mix...I literally asked for pretzel bread (from Trader Joe's...99 cents) because I feel like here all they have is sweet and man, I like salty) and I asked for a couple splurge items as well as a few clothes/things I left at home. I told my sister and she took care of everything, dividing it up between people who asked, etc. Thanks Karen! =) (Everyone probably just would have gotten annoyed with me for not responding to emails for a very long time...)
The 11th high school kids cam to the Guarderia to give out presents. It was very interesting to be on the receiving side of donations. I feel like in the past I've always made deliveries or participated in colletion. The kids were all ushered out to the patio (quickly) the high school kids gave them one toy each and they were ushered back into class. The kids were so excited. Jacky stood in the middle, I think the most serious I've ever seen her, held her present and watched with amazed eyes. I had to go in and fish her out of the crowd to come back to class. The other kids just wanted me to admire their presents and share in their excitement. Which quickly ended when their presents were taken away as soon as they entered the classroom, but they all still had their eye on them until one of the other girls who works there came in and took them away. They wanted to save them for the big party, which apparently is Jan. 6. I don't quite understand the whole thing. I think it probs would have been better for the high school to donate the toys (i know the kids will end up loving them) and not give them to them so they could take pictures just to take the toys away. I just think it could have been organized better. It makes me think about donations to make sure they are given with the best interest for the receiver...not the donor. Speaking of gifts for the guarderia Sarah (my friend...see july posts), my aunts Marcia & Julie all sent items for the guarderia for christmas. It was great! The kids haven't seen what Julie & Marcia sent yet, but they saw what sarah sent and they all send a BIG thank you!!! =) I'm sure they'll send another on the 4th when we go back to school and when they see what Marcia & Julie collected as well!!! THANK YOU!
The kids gift from Lucy were these Christmas houses made out of felt...and very intriqute (I actually have a picture of one-believe it or not-but i don't have my camera with me...so i will add it later) I worked on preparing them all month. From cutting out the windows to adding glitter to constructing the snowmen (#1 i think is funny because most these kids will never see snow #2 fun fact- in spanish snowmen are muñeco de nieve, a doll/figure of snow, so snow doll/figure...I like doll better), to putting the face on the snowmen. Whew there was always something.


I tried to get excited about St. Nick's Day, but I had no one to get excited with. I was happy to see an email from my sister the next day I used the internet saying "HAPPY ST. NICK'S DAY" =)


Virgin of Guadalupe
So I participated in parts of the festivities although I kind-of got the feeling it's a holiday to celebrate with family...


They did marches with a virgin statue everyday for a week and a halfish. So I should explain this because I'm learning these marches are pretty typical here. A group of people put a statue in a clear boxish type contraption and walk the streets carrying it and singing. They stop every once in awhile ot say prayers. They do this for hours every night leading up to a feast.
The night before our friend (I'm still struggling with using the friend word-because i had such good ones when i left-but i'm trying) had a mass in the street at his chapel at his house. I went for a little bit, but had to leave early. And of course by now the fireworks were in full force.
Day-of people started singing to the Virgin starting at 5:30 (yes am...i think i wasn't there). And were supposed to continue for 3ish hours.
At night i went to mass and it was quite an experience. Most people showed up with dolls, pictures, etc. of the Virgin to be blessed and church was PACKED. I was starting to sweat a little. There was a HUGE picture of the Virgin in the front (behind the alter) along with a huge Mexican flag. -I've asked why there are ever Mexican flags in church here (because it's so separate in the States). If I understood correctly the emblem in the middle represents the Virgin.- The mass went on with kids presenting Father with new garb & the crowning of the statue Virgin & the picture Virgin (the crown was on a string for this one). Then everyone kept singing and singing until Carmelita went to the mic and asked everyone to move outside & continue singing because another mass needed to start. (There were 3 in a row and I went to the 1st one). I left, talked with a couple people and they were still singing when I left.
I arrived hom and headed up to our roof to watch the fireworks that were being set-off everywhere. I had a very comfortable seat right on the edge and I was satisfied.


Work
The 17th we went on a field trip to a park. It was a little strange how it went down considering Melissa & I only really found out about it the day before. We show up and find everyone wearing red, which we did not do. The kids literally were all wearing red hats. And they whipped out their ID name tags for the occasion.
On the bus (which was pretty nice I'll say) we had 3 kids to a seat and they basically fit perfectly meaning there weren't seats for the teachers. We had 3 options: 1) stand 2) in the front squeeze the kids legs together, sit backwards and fit half your butt on the seat (that's what i did) or 3) sit on an arm rest (which is what most the teachers did).
They got the the park and basically did a lot of crafts, had lunch and left. Lunch was interesting because most the kids brought extra food for others.
The ride home was full of kids trying to sleep or the other kids screaming the whole time because they thought it was like a roller coaster.
I could feel the kids' excitedment all day, especially on the way there in Dante's eyes as he intently stared out the window. (he was happy he had a window seat)
I found out the next day Israel (who likes to tell me all about his life) couldn't go on the field trip because his mom didn't pay. So he had to go to work with his dad, which i got the impression he did not enjoy, but he kept going on and on (and I didn't understand this part) until he brightened up and said "but then we got DONUTS!" =)


Passada #1-basically another name for a Christmas party, but it's essential to have some people stand outside the door and another group inside and they each take turns singing. It's supposed to be like Mary and Jesus looking for a place to stay and inside they say no for a few versuses until they let them in.


Friday to my surprise we a big party at work. I was a little frustrated at first because I'm kind-of sick of never knowing what's going on there. Not because I can't understand, but because no one tells me. Hense, there are no pictures.
So everyone got called out to the patio & I couldn't go because I was in the middle of a step on the casa de Navidads.
Once I got out Santa was about to arrive. He got there and talked about giving hugs and smiles for Christmas. (I think...I wasn't trying super hard to understand). Then he had all the kids gather by him. Jacky grabbed him in a hug and held on for a LONG time, yntil he picked her up and put her on his lap. She came back to her seat SO happy and proud of herself.
Then a cake came in. It was really big, but never cut. Who knows. Definitely not me.
Then it was piñata time. At this point when I wasn't feeling the love in life I can always count on my kids for love. Gael plopped on my lap. Then he headed to the bathroom and 3 others took over until Gael returned and yelled at them "Lisa's with me!" and "one at a time"...meaning go away. Once the piñata started Gael won and grabbed my lap back all to himself. (He calls me 'Mamita' sometimes-little Mom) I've started hearing some of his story (his mom abondonded him & his siblings so his aunt takes care of them, but his mom comes in & out as she pleases) It explains a lot about his questions and such.
I love my kids.
So they made Melissa & I take turns with the piñata which I would like to say I don't think I've swung at a piñata in at least 10 years & they move it around here too (at least at this one I wasn't blindfolded). Then they sing a song and apparently you can't stop until the chant is over. I was trying to pass off the stick thing before the song ended & Melissa said "You have to keep going until the song ends"...oh
The piñata was full of confetti. Note: never open your mouth in excitement when a kid is throwing bunches of confetti at you. I literally spit it out.
So all the kids ate in the patio and we headed back in to finish their cards for their parents & the Christmas houses. I'm so glad we're done with those.
Overall it was a super fun day, but from the little time we spent in the classroom after the party I will always understand why parties are at the end of the day RIGHT before kids leave.
little out of order, but concerning work-the last day
Our last day of work before vacation was supposed to be the kids performance and a pastorala play put on by the teachers.
We arrived to discover soon after the activities were canceled for the day. I saw a few kids show up all dressed up to be turned away. And I felt really bad for them. They said they'll just do it the 6th instead. I wish the through of this like last week so the kids and their parents didn't make the trek there to begin with. Not to mention getting their kids all dressed up.
The teachers stayed for coffee & cake and waited around for the found of the Guarderia to show up for everyone to go around and thank each other.
This part deserves it's own paragraph. While people were talking I though/hoped Melissa would talk (and for both for us). She whispers 'I think I should say something.' And I encouraged her. She did great! But immediately after her they wanted me to. I just kept saying no. Then I can't. Finally the founder asked me questions and I answered (sort-of). I said "I can understand, but not talk." Then they left me alone.
We got some presents, those christmas tree cake things and body wash. then we all ate pizza from cost-co. by the way pizza is very different here...they don't really use sauce. They have crust, cheese & toppings and provide hot sauce, hot peppers & ketchup to put on top. Generally I like chunky tomatey sauce and not a lot of cheese...so I'm not really a fan.
Anyways I ate Melissa's black olives and she ate my meat...prefect.
I enjoyed my cup of wine thourghly (it was chilly so it warmed me up) and Melissa & I were ready to head out so that we did and my first work Christmas party was over.


Passada #2-Yvonne's
It was basically a repeat of what we did at work the very same day except this time we walked in the streets a little singing before the door singing. At work the inside version was basically a solo of Santa. The kids didn't know it. It seems the adults don't either, but the kids can't read.
So after the "main event" it was piñata time. There were 3 at this party. Having swung at one earlier in the day I didn't want another turn, but I was rather forced. They pulled me up as I kept saying "I don't want to." But I was blindfolded There so that made it a little different and the watchers tell you where to swing "arriba arriba" up up and you jump, etc. They only turned me once, which was nice. But I did break it. Yvonne grabs me and kept saying "You broke it! You broke it!" (Good thing I know that word) He whipped off my blindfold and I look around to see tons of people at my feet fighting for the insides (fruit). I walked away.
They served food and the dancing started and it was like a regular party then.


Pastorala #1 -basically a christmas play
The Sunday before Christmas. It rained, which is strange for this time of year and it made Jess reminisent of snow, but not me. I said I've had enough snow to last me at least 2 years with none.
Anyways Jess, Marcos & I arrived in the rain and ready. The director started saying the kids names and roles (like a curtain call) and I thought 'hmmm...little strange. They do this before the performance?' Turns out we missed it! I really think we were on time. We definitely weren't more than 5 min. late. Apparently they started early, which is unheard of here.
So we struk out.


Pastorala #2 The one Jess directed.
The 23rd. Very cute. I couldn't understand, but very cute. The kids were nervous so they spoke faster than normal (and I can't understand a normal speek most of the time), but the clouds were beautiful so I enjoyed admiring them and the kids were super cute.
The parish had another pasada after, but I needed to go to the bathroom so I headed home. Jess brought home tamales and I tried my frist one ever. Very good-and apparently it was made with corn from the parish's garden. Then I headed to pasada #3


Pasada #3
The party was a street one where they blocked off the street and set-up the speakers and the DJ set-up and they strung the piñata across the street from one house`s window to another. Lots of dancing and good times.


Christmas Eve
Running in the morning, working on Spanish and I found a wonderful juice place. I was actually really proud of myself because usally I ask the girls exactly what to say before I head out alone, but that day I was just ready for my juice. I had to stop at one shop to ask if he had it and I actually understood where he told me to go! Pat on the back. So I went to this big one and the lady ignored me (literally someone came up after me and she took their order as I stood there) so I saw a smaller place off to the side and went there. The guy was super nice, I watched him squeeze the oranges (and yes Karen he even strained out the pulp) and no added sugar. It was wonderful. I think it's going to become my favorite place (i've been back two times since...melissa is in love now too). Merry Christmas to me.
Then it was time to clean the floor...again. Honestly, I think I cleaned our floor more this month than I needed to clean my floor all last year in my apt. Thanks for training me well in that department Mom & Dad.
At night I headed to the parish & was super excited to talk to my family. (I knew they'd be back from mass & opening presents...in our family Santa comes during mass...he always has). After I finally got them it was wonderful to see them & talk with them & see them open a few presents. They made me feel better about life and about feeling a little upset their packages didn't arrive for Christmas (they were upset too...they wanted me to have a bit of them for Christmas-exactly what i was thinking) But I got to see & talk to them so that's probs the best gift I can get. Thank you skype. I love you.
Then I headed to mass.
After Caro & I chopped fruit for her fruit salad in prep for Christmas Day waiting for the 11 mass to end. They had mass at 8, 9, 10, 11. We went to 8.
Isaac came with a present in tow around 11 and said I could wait an hour to open it if I wanted (he doesn't really understand when we open presents and such because here they do the 6th of Jan.) I said I could open it then because that's when my family does. The girls wanted to wait to exchange until the 25th and my gifts didn't come in time so I had my skype call and for some reason I felt a little better after opening something the 24th. No good reason, just a tradition.
So speaking of trying to understand different traditions... here most families take a baby Jesus (at least one) to mass and at the end of mass they rock the baby Jesus and sing a song. (They're rocking baby Jesus to sleep) And then they get him blessed after mass.
When Isaac's mom came into the kitchen after their mass & asked if I wanted to hold her baby Jesus I had no idea what to do. I took it very awkwardly and looked at Caro for help. So we tried to explain they don't do this in the States and this was the first one I've ever held. Everyone in the kitchen (besides Caro) was shocked. And I was embarrased.
After the 11 mass we had a final pasada and sang some Christmas songs, which if possible Caro, Jess, & I sang in English. And once the all spanish (no translation) ones came on I knew a lot of them because of listening to the kids practice all the time at work. Me: Oh this is my kids`song...This is the 5 year old song, etc.
It was really nice at the end of singing (and rocking baby Jesus to sleep of course) we had a toast with some really expensive wine (I wouldn`t of known, but Caro informed me). Who would have throught I'd try supe expensive champaign while in Mexico and a missionary? I didn't really like it, but I enjoyed the experience probs never to happen again. Then everyone went around and gave everyone hugs. Ahh just what I needed.
We sat down to dinner (yes at approx. 1 am). It was super nice that Father made veggie lasagna because the main dish for everyone was turkey. Dinner ended, dancing started and we headed home around 2-3 singing Christmas carols.
Good bye Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day
The streets were dead, except on my bus ride to run there were tons of people waiting outside the Bodega (the big store) for it to open. Got to love those last minute shoppers.
We served a meal at the parish geared towards people who had no where else to go or couldn't afford meals. No one showed up until one of the fellow planners went out to the streets and encouraged people to come itn. Then we were never busy, but we had a steady flow of stuff to do for about 3 1/2 hours. Needless to say I was tired at the end.
When we were setting up I was setting the tables thinking 'See this can be just like home.' I always set the tables at Christmas with my sister and we never know where anything is at my grandma's just like I don't know where anything is here. If only i had to take drink orders: "iced tea, lemonade or water?" Even though by now i'm pretty sure i know what everyone in my family wants...years of practice.
No drink orders here...soda or soda. Actually now that I sit & think about it I didn't drink anything the whole time.
That can't be good.

And Christmas is over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!