Skip to main content

first week back to work

as the kids slowly worked their way back to class there were many celebrations this week...

monday 5 kids
with the very sma
ll amount of kids they decided to watch tv, have english class and then play outside all day. this gave us time to distribute all the goodies my aunts collected at their parishes between the teachers and lucy and i worked on these little baskets made out of milk cartons the majority of the day.
i was SO happy to see my kids again...even if there were five.

tuesday 7 kids -including a new one, Kevin. He's a twin and he came in my class and his twin is now in Melissa's
This is the big balloon day. Here kids write their letters of what they want to the three kings and release them on balloons the day before. similar to how we write letters to santa. although i think the tradition here has to be very hard on parents, which i witnessed tuesday night because when i left to go home at 11:30 the market was still packed with shoppers...they only find out what their kids want the day before... difficult.
at first when i fou
nd out about this tradition i didn't like it at all because that's bad for the environment so i was rather skeptical as the kids excitedly wrote their letters and got ready for the big release.
then the balloo
ns were brought in the room and we tied on their letters and i couldn't resist, but to be excited for the kids.

this was supposed to be a picture of Hanna,
but Felipe is just so excited about his balloon it ended up being a really cute picture of him

then we went out to the patio and there was no denying the anticipation and excitement with the kids. it was adorable. we all sat down and watched the balloons until you couldn't see them anymore. except the kids said they still could and they knew exactly which one was theirs. =)

so we had our big balloon release and then 2 piñatas at work. but people continued releasing balloons around all day. they actually started selling the balloons in the streets on monday. men walking around with a large amount of balloons with different characters on them so the kids could pick which one they wanted, but they all had the 3 kings on one side.

the kids also played with coloring books sent by my aunts and got new pencils (the eraser on the end amazes them...they all asked what it was)

dante with his new pencil



wednesday
three kings day-5 kids

we arrived at work to take part in one of the biggest traditions of the day parting the rosca de reyes. there are baby jesus's in the cake and if you cut into one it means you have to bring food on the 2nd of feb. to the group you cut it with. i really screwed up the tradition when i arrived and Xian wanted me to look at this little bitty baby she had and i assumed she got it as a gift from the Three Kings so i had my normal reaction when the kids get new things. I later...much later realized she got the baby in her piece. Woops. Then Melissa and I cut and I proceeded to cut a piece for me and melissa not realizing it doesn't count unless you cut it yourself so they made melissa cut another piece and then she got a baby. Woops.

then we put presents under the tree for the kids there. and turned on the music. Axa (a kid in Melissa's class) showed up in his new Michael Jackson costume so of course we started with Michael Jackson and watched him dance. It was so cute!
when cristofer arrived he ripped off his sweatshirt and wanted to show off his new shirt. i was admiring it as another teacher yelled where was his sweatshirt and to put it back on. but he sure was excited.
So we danced and played all day.
I parted another rosca at the house with our english class, but didn't get a baby there either.
whew

thursday 11 kids!!!! oh was i excited!
the day started with cristofer crying because he didn't want to leave early (he always leaves at 5 and he was supposed to leave at 3). i explained it was only for one day and he would get to spend more time with his family. which apparently was the last thing he wanted to hear. something about his mom and dad yelling. and i said he just needed to enjoy his time here and gave him lots of hugs and kisses. then in a half hour he was ok.
murat was even happy to see me when i arrived. (one of the not so good kids) and i was excited to see him as well.
we actually had a pretty normal class day. english, computer, everything.
they had the tv on at lunch on the news (usually we don't) and apparently a big cool front was coming to mexico. that's all i could understand. as we left the teacher melissa works with said to watch the news and if schools in the district were called off the next day not to come. well we don't have a tv so we knew we were going anyway.

friday we arrived and our boss starts talking to me about sleeping, but i was a little confused and melissa went to her room so i went to melissa and said i think they want us to leave. (there were about 20 kids there TOTAL, 4 from my class)
then Pakita followed me in and said to go home and rest, which is probably very good because i wasn't feeling my best and my voice was doing a weird cracky thing. so i went home and proceeded to sleep the whole morning.

so what is cold here? i was starting to wonder because the weather is definitely not normal for here right now. yes it usually gets cold, but it's more than usual and raining, which is definitely not normal for this time of year.
so i'm on weather.com and find out right now it's 50 and rainy. apparently it's going to go up and down for the next few days until getting back to 72 during the days on the 18th. (good sign for my birthday) Usually right now it is sunny and warm during the day and cold at night. Caro and Jess said they remember this day last year getting sun burnt and now it's 50 and raining. Weird.
I just wish it would warm up because I'm cold.
and yes i miss heat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!