Skip to main content

estoy esperando

so my trip home took a little...a lot longer than I expected.


it started with Sister Tere coming by our house and we ended up having breakfast with her because Jess bought tamales (for my last meal) and we had enough to share. So she stayed for breakfast. Honestly, I was pretty distracted with thinking about my day, but it was nice to share a meal together.


Then Melissa and I had a little gift for Paquita at the Guarderia so they opened again Monday so we went and I said good-bye there too. Classes only start in August, but right now they watch the kids. 4 of my kids were there. Hanna- yelled my name as I entered-, Dante, Axl, & Gael.


then i headed to the parish to say good-byes there. everyone was eating breakfast-chilaquiles-so they were all at the table so i could say good-bye.


i got to the airport in plenty of time in mexico city with isaac's family. they hung out with me until isaac was able to come. he showed up all dressed up and with a sunflower (my favorite flower) for me. while i would not recommend taking a flower back to the US-i had to go through special screening-it was so worth it and i did get it through. so his family left when he got there. when they left i was able to thank isaac's mom for sharing him with me and his dad blessed me like i've seen parents bless their kids as they leave at school so many times. isaac & i just hung out until the last possible minute for me to head through security. i got to say good-bye to his work friend, Pelon, on his phone and he offered to take care of isaac, but besides that it was just the two of us. He held my bag until after the security people looked at my ids and then we had another quick good-bye and i was off.


i got to my gate to find out my flight was delayed...not what you want to hear when you have a connecting flight.


it was delayed an hour.


isaac just kept calling me (i didn't have any credit) and i was clearly upset so he asked if i wanted to come out of security so i could be with him. and i most definitely did, but i figured i should hang out by the gate so that is what i did.


i kept crying off and on the whole flight (the whole day) so i think the woman next to me was trying to make me feel better and showed me her baby doll jesus that she was taking to the states. Then that just made me think how i used to think the baby jesus dolls were so weird and now i didn't blink and eye and knew to compliment it and say it's beautiful.


i got in houston and was upset with the way the security people were treating mexicans and the way they mumbled under their breath and the faces they made. it was just really rude. so i was already upset (all-day) so that really got to me. but i tried to stay concentrated on making my flight. i ran from line to line but just kept waiting.


so i missed my flight by 15 minutes. i walked over to the desk to reschedule my flight and she said she could only give me a seat on the 3:30 flight the next day. I said, "In the afternoon?" So I asked if I could do standby and she said i could try, but it won't do me any good. Then she gave me a discount coupon for a hotel and I was off. I figured I would sleep in the airport, but while talking with my family (i was a mess) they convinced me to splurge the $50 and get a room...so I did. I ended up talking to issac most the night while my family attempted to pick-up my luggage. (i sent it along on the flight i missed because i didn't want to deal with it anymore. they didn't get it because it didn't even make the flight...let alone me and karen said they said it would come at the 7:30 flight the next day.)


i got up very early to be at the airport to try standby for the first flight. i was at the gate like an hour before it left. so they finished boarding and there were a BUNCH of standby passengers hovering around the desk and the woman was getting annoyed so i stayed in my seat knowing it wouldn't make a difference if i was standing or sitting. then what do you know...she called my name. I was first on the list...my reward for getting up so early. Two of us entered, but she called one back because the woman who had the seat arrived. I was on the flight with my luggage.


i found karen at the airport and she had a sign for me. when we saw each other we ran to each other and of course i started crying.


we met up with my mom at my grandma's and headed to ste. gen. on the way isaac called - he's now a pro on skype! =)


now we're off to ste. gen to visit with my dad and my other grandma and then karen & i are coming back to st. louis for the muny (sound of music) and then tomorrow morning i leave for chicago BRIGHT AND EARLY


things i'm loving in the states:

warm water at sinks

being able to swallow water when i brush my teeth

having to remind myself to throw the toilet paper in the toilet (not the trash)


it's so funny i took so long to get used to saying the common things-like excuse me-in spanish and now i've said it in spanish here a few times and i often have to stop myself from responding in spanish.

Comments

  1. so glad you're back safe and sound my love! hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!