Skip to main content

terrific tuesday

the day started out with a beautiful sunrise. as i readjust back to waking up bright and early, since i'm working i'm running as the sun rises over the lake. it's so beautiful. the last few days have been overcast so you couldn't see it for all it's beauty, but today i could.

it was terrific.


one of my friends is with teach for america and she's placed at a preschool in Pilsen so i was going to help out today and be the "celebrity reader." so i made my way to pilsen. One of the first fabulous things that happened was the first train to come up was the pink line! just what i needed.

Pilsen is a mexican neighborhood and i just loved it. i loved getting off the el and looking at all the colorful paintings at the el stop and actually understanding a lot of them. I loved walking around and most of the signs were in spanish. I was so wrapped up in it i had a bit of a problem finding the preschool, but i did. even if cinthya did come to the door and call my name out on the street.

She works with 4 year olds (which is the same age i worked with last year). They were great! Those kids are more bilingual than me. I'm jealous. they might actually speak in spanish better than english. my friend was a great teacher and would first say everything in english and then spanish. wow! i loved how when i walked in several kids gave me hugs. that took me back. although there was no lisa chanting this time =)

The space was so nice. Cinthya said it's come a long way in the past year, but just comparing it to our small, wall falling off room, it was beautiful! i was constantly comparing and contrasting the two settings in my head.

We went through a fire drill, recess, center time (where a kid made a target out of these plastic bears in a bowl). He said it's a target. I asked, "Like the store?" He said yes. Oh man, getting to the kids at a young age. But I laughed and knew I had to remember to tell Kelly. Then I read. We sang a little and I was on my way. I had a great time at the preschool and can't wait to go back.

i also want to give a shout out for cinthya. she was great! she kept control of those kiddos (even though she says she doesn't) and she was ALWAYS calm. it was so fun. ah ah ah ah you did a good job. you did a good job =)

on my way back to the el i went into the panderia where the prices were just about the same as in mexico. i think the woman working the counter only knew how to say numbers in english, but i used my spanish and we got along just fine! i even got pan de muerto (the special bread they have for Dia de los muertos). I took it to the birthday dinner i had that night so they could try it too. (we ended up having soo much food the girls took it home so i don't know how they liked it yet) i saw the herb/health store...oh so mexican. and i saw the chicarones and cut fruit and seasoned with chili sold on the street. =)

my time in pilsen was almost like a flashback to my time in mexico.

thanks Cinthya...it was terrific.


then i stopped at tjs downtown for some cheap wine for the dinner and headed on my way back home for job applying time.


i even got to see ellen. which i love the first 5 min. of the show and haven't seen it for a couple weeks.

it was terrific.


attempted to get my library card, which was not successful, but at least now i'm positive of everything i need.


picked up a few more things for the birthday dinner and i was on my way. i rode down the lakeshore path to kel's with two packed bags and a helium balloon hanging out the back. while i was on my way on to the path a guy i passed said happy birthday. i said "it's not mine, but thanks." i got lots of strange looks, but when i'm on the path i like to see different things, it makes it more interesting so i told myself i was making someone's bike ride/run/walk better and i smiled a little with every strange look i got.

kel and i cooked dinner in preparation of sarah's arrival. it was a wonderful dinner. probably just what i needed. those girls are always so supportive of me and it's always nice to spend more time with some of your bffs. we even got to meet the guy kel is dating right now... he passed. =) and you could tell he was trying... hard. and we appreciated it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARAH

thanks girls, it was terrific.

i made a stop at north ave. beach to get free air for my bike tires (they were both pretty flat). the ride home was suddenly so much easier.

it was terrific


what a terrific tuesday! i'm so lucky to have days like yesterday in my life. full of relationships, love and life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!