Skip to main content

Chicago libraries

Probably a month ago there was lots of sudden drama with the budget and libraries causing the libraries to close on Mondays.  It was quite sudden when it happened.  Pretty sure no one knew until the very Monday morning they didn't open.


This bummed me out because the library by me isn't open on Sundays so I would go to the library Mondays.


Since then they came to an agreement with shortened hours Mondays.  But it sounds like during the summer when school isn't in session they will have regular hours.  Sounds ok to me, but I don't know the whole story.  Here's the article I read.


So since we're talking about libraries, where I get all my books, let's talk books:


eating animals - jonathan safran foer
Yeah, this is a vegetarian book.  It's interesting because he had a hard time becoming a vegetarian so he is able to present a unique perspective.  Interesting to read about his process becoming a vegetarian.  
Everyone has their own reason for being a vegetarian.  His seemed mostly for the animals, but he managed to mention other reasons as well.  People seem to generalize why vegetarians make their choice to be a vegetarian.  That is a misconception.  There are so many different reasons and processes for making that decision.
Warning:  there were parts of this book that were disgusting and sad.  I am generally pretty good about keeping my thoughts on eating meat to myself.  However, right after I read the book it was hard to stay quiet for a couple days.


The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
I finally gave in.  Yes, it's a very quick read.  Yes, it sucks you in.  I just couldn't get out of my mind how unjust and saddening it was.  I'm sure you've heard enough about this one from other people to make up your mind.
I will definitely not see this movie when it comes out.  I'm not sure I'd make it through it without throwing up.

At the start of reading this book, I wasn't a huge fan.  Then I adjusted to his style of writing and the stories grew on my quickly as I moved through the book.  
So it's a collection of stories about Augie with many different characters coming in and out of the book.  They present lots of different topics to think about.  

Happy Accidents - Jane Lynch
Final Female Comedian book of 2011.  Check.  Let's review:  Jane Lynch, Whoopi Goldberg, Ellen, Tina Fey, Mindy Kaling.  Bam!
No question about this one being an auto biography vs a funny book with a message like some of the others.  Don't get me wrong.  Her's still had a message and I enjoyed it.  She stressed having the patience and trust that things have a way of working out, which I completely agree with (even if it is hard sometimes).  
From her book and a few other of the female comedian books I learned how many comedians went though Second City, it's pretty fascinating.  
Did you know?:  Julie & Julia is based on two memoirs (I thought it was just based on one).  One by Julie Powell & one written by Julia Child & her nephew Alex Prud'homme.
"But I will offer this in the way of counsel (and I defer to the infinite wisdom of Carol Brady when I do):  find what it is you do best and do your best with it."  Why thank you, Jane Lynch

Love Story - Erich Segal
I thought this was the book an instructor and another lady in my yoga class were talking about one day.  Still not sure if it was.
For some reason I thought this would be some deep book from the way they were talking about it.  I mean, not really.  It's a love story and it's short and fast.  
It reminded me a lot of A Walk to Remember.  I think my conclusion is it was too short to really form a relationship with the characters, etc.  But it still made me cry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!