Skip to main content

first day

Today's the first day of my new job.  And I'm pretty excited to see what comes.  
I'll be training hospital staff on how to use a translation device.


I've come to learn you can't really judge a job until you're in it for awhile.  So that's what I'm going to do.  


I had a lovely week off last week though:
-I read a lot (at the lake)
-worked on making a website for my dad (still a work in progress)
I could write an entire blog post about this experience and reacquainting myself with html writing.  I wrote a website in high school and one in college and that's it.  And they were both lame.  Just good enough to get me an A.  So here I am working on a real one and it makes me glad I didn't choose a computer programming profession, for one thing.  It's good for me though.  I'm learning about myself.  #1 I am not detail oriented.  When I find the one tiny thing that's messing everything up, you better bet I pat myself on the back.  #2 When I get frustrated I take breaks.  Walk to the kitchen for a water or something.  And sometimes that meant not figuring out my first idea and making a new plan.  I'm pretty good at spotting design things I want to change so it looks more pleasing.  This is good an bad because then I have to find out how to change it.
I feel like I'm starting to get it though.  Which feels really good.


-had some beautiful runs


-met up with a friend i literally hadn't seen in 2+ years


-had a congratulations brunch (from and for myself) at chicago diner


-beautiful bike rides


-using pandora again was oh so wonderful.  Do you ever listen to Pandora and ask, 'How did you know?'  I even made a new station for the week with some of my favorite artists of the moment:  Coconut Records, Bombay Bicycle Club, The Kooks, The Temper Trap, Franz Ferdinand, Of Monsters & Men, etc.


-got back in the kitchen

-I found myself journaling a lot more without Rubina to listen to all my silly stories...


-strawberries were on sale for $2 at Jewel.  I thought about it for a second.  Looked them over and scooped one up.  Look at the size of one... (they weren't all like this.  just the one)  Nor were they as delicious as summer, but it's the first little taste of summer!
I can't wait to go to the Farmer's Market this Saturday.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love not working on Saturdays?  No?  I love not working on Saturdays.  There, now I have.


-growing up I used to LOVE a snack of pretzels and raisins (in my mouth at the same time).  Have you ever tried it?  I'm not quite sure when the last time I had this combination... until last week!  Yum!


-watched two documentaries.  Happy (free on itunes)... it was ok.  And I watched Life In a Day again (now it's free on youtube).


-made it back to volunteer!  This time was a bit more chaotic than usual, but still super fun.  Favorite statement of the day:
We were reading a book about sharks and found out more than a million sharks are killed by humans every day.  (Did you know that?  I didn't.)  The book listed things we use sharks for...
Tewow:  What's after-shave?
Other two kids I was working with:  Yeah...?
Me:  It's for guys.
Tewow & Hector: What?
Me:  Older guys.  You don't have to worry about that yet.
Tewow:  I'm never going to use it.  I'm going to grow a mustache.


-Footloose (the remake) came in for me at the library.  It was cute.  That Willard was hilarious and Ren is such a good kid and good influence.  I liked it enough for me to request the original.


So yeah, it was a pretty awesome week!


Today I'm headed off to Florida for work.  Yes, on my first day.  We're having a breakfast meeting in my neighborhood and then heading to the airport.  I'll be there most of this week, but I have some fun posts planned for you this week anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike