Skip to main content

10 Notes from PDX

Portland, Oregon that is.
Taken on one of my morning runs on the river
so many beautiful bridges!
Work sent me to Portland this week for orientation at headquarters and I had a little time to explore.
So here are a few notes:


1- Such a laid-back atmosphere.  
The first couple interactions I had I kept thinking, "They're talking sooooo slowly."  And reminded myself I'm in Portland.  Honestly, I was surprised because I consider myself a pretty laid-back person.
It was lovely!
I heard one horn honk the entire time I was there.  I'm not exaggerating.  I didn't realize it was missing until I heard one and, shocked, commented to one of the employees in Portland.  She said whenever they hear a car horn they always say they must be from Washington or California... or the suburbs.  =)


2- So bike friendly!
There are clearly marked bike lanes on every street!  They even have bike boulevards!  Even the public transportation trains have special spots for bikes, no restricted hours here.  Oh, how I wish Chicago was like that.
one of the many bike shops had a little sculpture on top of the building!
3- Sooo much Coffee
Basically on every block!  It was awesome!  And yes, there was a lot of Starbucks, but there were also a lot of local options too!
Stumptown.  My favorite.

Public Domain


4- Washington Park is beautiful and crazy that it's basically downtown!
I walked over there and walked around for a few hours.  I was able to see the Japanese Gardens, Rose Gardens, and the amphitheater.  All so wonderful.
I did enjoy the sign at the reservoirs informing people if they threw something in the water they would be prosecuted.  It literally said, "I am your drinking water."

right through the trees the hill drops off and it's a busy street 






5- Portland is Green in many ways.
I already mentioned the biking.  
It's also literally green.  Trees and stuff.  
Everyone around there clearly puts forth the effort with recycling bins everywhere.  Even eating at a pizza place, if you eat there, you eat on a real plate.
The hotel I stayed at had a recycling container in the room.  And options.
(Oh... and their blow dryer was awesome!)

yeah, i picked tree hugger


6- I visited the famous VooDoo Doughnuts
It's on all kinds of Food Network shows and stuff.  It's a pretty big deal... and I almost didn't go.  But I made it and at 9pm there was still a line.  It went fast though and I was very entertained by the signs and surroundings.
This started the current donut revolution.  (I have no idea if that's true or not, but I think it would make sense.)  I do know it was yummy and cheap!


i had an old dirty bastard
7- Portland is known for their Food Carts for good reason.
There are SO many food carts.  Blocks full of food carts!  When I'm presented with that many options, it's a problem.  This one lady reached out to me from an Indian place & she was so sweet.  Decision made.  Paneer for me...



8- Powell's books is amazing!
I love how they support independent businesses through the independent bookstore!  I bought quite a bit and didn't regret it at all!  I could spend an entire day in there.
this whole row is vegan and vegetarian books

my new adorable pint glass, made by Vital Industries, handprinted in Denver
Postcard by Dead Feminists, which I would have bought all of them, if I didn't think that was excessive...
i'm still thinking about it off etsy


9- The Blocks in Portland are so small!
Everything is such a short walk away.


10- One of the first things I saw when arriving downtown was a Protest.
It was great to see.  It wasn't just college students and young adults, which seems to be the norm.  It was adults in their 50s and 60s too!  Stand up for yourselves.
afterwards i saw a couple of the signs while i was sitting by the river
I borrowed one of the NW sales peoples desks for two days (he wasn't there), when I actually had a chance to sit down.
This was the view!
The trip was lovely.  I was still happy to get back to Chicago, especially when we have weather like today and I got to take a bike ride on the path to meet up with a friend.


I'm pretty excited about this weekend!  I hope you have a lovely one as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!