Skip to main content

spring/summer day

I can't decide if today was more spring or summer, but it was pretty awesome.  


After initially being upset because my volunteer activity was canceled (because of NATO), I didn't let it keep me down too long.


I started the beautiful day off with a lovely longish run!  Perfect.
There's this blooming bush about a half mile from my place and it smells SO good right now.  I have no idea what it is, but it's the perfect beginning and end to my run.
it's on the path near Diversey, in case you're wondering
Then I made it to the Farmer's Market for the first time in 2012!
I love the farmer's market.  And I love that I didn't have to go at 8am while the vendors were setting up and hurriedly grab things on my way to work.  Yea for not having to work Saturdays!
There are a few changes this year, but change happens.
I walked away with tomatoes grown outside, asparagus, and bread for $11.  
Which tomato would you rather have?
The one from the grocery store (left) or the one from the farmer's market (right)?
I grabbed off a piece of the fresh bread on my walk (don't judge me, I just ran 9 miles, I was hungry) and immediately had a flashback to México.
(And yes this is right after I decided to start watching my carbohydrate intake... but it's fresh and sooooo good.)
My housemates and I used to LOVE this pan integral (wheat bread) that came in a large loaf from a lady who sold it out of, basically, a shed.  She had somewhat odd, unpredictable hours, but we loved her and were great customers.  Anytime one of the four of us would walk up she knew we wanted a loaf of the pan integral and if something special was happening (or we were having a rough day) we'd get a muffin, etc. (all made with wheat flour).  
We really liked her, especially since we weren't really used to having no wheat options, which is what everyone else sold.
Those loaves were a treat and would go very fast in our house.  It was always a treat when I got one slice.  So here I am with my huge loaf all for myself and I feel quite spoiled.
But it is delicious!


I went on from the farmer's market to donate some things to Brown Elephant.  It was another uncomfortable box to carry.  Not because it was big.  Because it was heavy.  I made it though and I made my donation!


I stocked up on Gatorade and Honest Tea at Jewel because I was happy to see they were on sale for $1.  I know Gatorade is not great for you, but when I want electrolytes in a cold, liquid form, my choices are limited.  I used to love Luna's Electrolyte Splash, but that is gone.  Oh, well.  Gatorade it is.


Then it was relaxation time at the lake.  

Lovely!


Last Saturday was very go go go so it was nice to have a bit of a relaxing day and I'm so happy summer came to visit for the day!


Now I think I'll go back to the lake and watch the helicopters fly overhead (NATO)...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!