Skip to main content

running shoes

A question I get asked quite often about running is how to choose running shoes.


I'm no expert.  I went to Fleet Feet several years ago and got fit.  They watched me run on the treadmill to determine if I naturally over pronated or under pronated.  I was one of those, but can't remember which right now.  Then they started pulling shoes out for me to try out.  They have a mini strip of track once I tried on the shoes, they watched me run on the track and determined if the shoes did what they were supposed to do.
I haven't had any problems with my shoes so I keep going back and buying the same style.  Yes, there are lots of different versions and they usually make changes with every version. Some runners are so nervous that they will change their shoe so when they find one they really like they stock up.  (Think 10 pairs.  Now take a second to think how expensive that would be.  I do not do that.)
Sometimes I can feel the changes they make to my shoe.  Sometimes I can't.  
I know they give you a recommendation for how many miles to put on your shoes and I know this is bad, but honestly, I go over (way over) every pair.  I can always tell when it's time for a new pair and try to get to the store as soon as possible.


If the price of shoes has you down and you've already figured out what shoes work for you consider ordering them online.  I've never done this, but heard about runningwarehouse.com where you can save up to 50% off retail prices.  I've also heard on Google shopping you can save as much as 2/3 off.
With that said.  Don't hold back on investing in running shoes.  Think how many hundreds of miles you are going to put on those shoes.  Versus the very limited number of miles you will put on those fancy/fad shoes that are the same price.  Get what makes your feet and body happy.


Right now barefoot running or minimalist shoes are the thing.  I think what started this is the book Born to Run.  I loved that book (I think it helped me a lot with my form).  In the book they talk about a tribe that runs barefoot.  Because they've always run barefoot.  That's what they are used to.
Before diving into the barefoot trend I would take your time easing into it.  If you are really serious about the minimalist running shoe, there are lots of options that can help you ease into it.  There's the Brooks PureProject or Saucony Mirage, among many others. Here's a short article from REI, which breezes through the topic.
I've decided this trend isn't for me right now.  Maybe it's for you?  Maybe it will be for me in the future?  You never know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!