Skip to main content

Running Plan

If I've learned anything about running, it's that things don't always go as planned.

Sunday I went for a 19 mile run.  It was one of those runs where the first half I battled my mind and the second half, I battled my body.  It happens.  Not fun, but it happens.

The first half I had to deal with the voices in my head:
I don't want to do this.
You don't have to do this.
Just see how you feel, you can turn around early if you want.
You have to do this.
You can clear your head.

That's a lot of voices.  It's overwhelming and hard to control.

The second half, my body had enough.  I know I spent Saturday day and evening out at a street festival drinking, eating, and hanging out with a friend.  (Not the best set-up for a 19 mile run.)

I started getting chills and I was so dehydrated.  I stopped for more water than ever before (it really wasn't that hot!) and I had to walk some.  

It was rather disappointing, but also pretty awesome.  
#1 the jut out between my 18 mile and 19 mile turn around on the path (between 12.5 and 13 mile marker on the south side) has one of the best views of the city.  I walked through part of that area to take the time to enjoy the view.
#2 it's a fun lesson that things don't always go according to plan.  The thing is to get back out there and do it again.  Not to let failure scare me out of trying again.

And I went to sleep putting on compression socks and iced my knees yesterday.  I put on my compression socks and could feel my legs pulsing.  
Oh recovery...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Veggie Tinga

I made Vegetarian Tinga for a mexican pot luck I went to on Tuesday.


Many people have never heard of Tinga, let alone knowing you can make it vegetarian style.  You absolutely can!  And it's so easy.


Traditional tinga is made of shredded chicken with chipotle flavoring.  I used cabbage instead of the chicken.


I looked at a lot of different recipes online, but couldn't find a recipe for the veggie tinga I had in mind, so I ended up combining the guidelines of those recipes and making my own.


Here's what I did:


1 onion
1 head of cabbage
1 7oz. can chipotle (the peppers in adobo sauce)
5 ish roma tomatoes
olive oil


-Saute onion in olive oil.
-Chop cabbage (I used youtube to help me figure out the best way to do that) add to onion and saute.
-Blend the chipotle and tomatoes in blender.
Note:  Some people only like to add the sauce from the chipotle peppers.  I added the entire can (including the peppers themselves).  It's up to you depending on how spicy you want it.  (I like my food s…

Registration

*Karen tells me that is not what I'm supposed to say, but it makes sense in my head...

Saturday I was in San Antonio for work, I did get to hang out with a friend while I was in town so that definitely made the trip better, combined with the fact that the volunteers there are just wonderful.

I knew Sunday was going to be overwhelming before I left on Friday.  I always write lists when I'm overwhelmed, I wrote a list.  (Even though I hardly referenced it on Sunday.)  Just writing it down helps me feel better.

Sunday we registered for at two places, starting at 9am.  When we finished the second one (which we were both dragging ourselves through) it felt like it was time for bed...it was 2pm.  Guys, this experience brought so much clarity to people's registerys.  I would not necessarily say it was a fun experience.  And I am very happy Mike seems to have a vision because we would limit the insane number of options down to a couple options together and then I would say I don'…

5 Year Journal - Again

I know I've mentioned my 5 year journal here before, but now that I'm in my second year and everyday I get to look back at what I did that day last year I can't tell you how much I love it.  And I imagine I will love it more and more as the years go on.  I'm already dreaming of year 5!  

It takes a maximum of 5 minutes to jot down a few notes from the day and then you move on.

I have this one.  (I'm pretty sure it was more than $12 when my grandma got it for me so that looks like a steal.)
But this one looks amazing!