Skip to main content

Viennese Coffee Houses

Viennese Coffee Houses are a definite thing!

Here's a little background for why they are such a big deal:
After the second Turkish siege of Vienna in 1683, the Viennese found bags of beans they mistook as camel fodder.The king gave them to one of his officers to burn, and the officer discovered the beans could be roasted into coffee. Coffee became a popular beverage here, and the officer eventually established the first Viennese coffee house. Coffee houses became a popular meeting place in the late 19th and early 20th century when authors and artists made cafes the centers of their lives and works. 

There are so many coffee shops in vienna and what's refreshing is they are all very different and have their own personality.  (Yes, technically I only went to one so part of this is what I read and part of it is what our Program Director said in his Viennese Coffee House presentation.)  
There's Tirelerhof Cafe, Cafe Sacher, Gerstner Cafe, Cafe Central, and many many more.  Cafe Sacher (where we went) is known for it's famous Sacher Tort. The Sacher Tort is a bittersweet chocolate tort with a thin layer of apricot jam under the icing. It was invented in 1832 and has been a secret recipe of the Sacher Hotel since its opening in 1876.  (Apparently there's a disagreement about this, where a different coffee house claims they came up with the Sacher Tort.  I can't remember the name of the other coffee house.  It might have been Gerstner Cafe?)
Jeff and Greta both got the Sacher Tort.
Jeff generally likes what he's used to so it makes sense he wasn't the biggest fan, but he still enjoyed it.
Along with the treats to go with the coffee, like the Sacher Tort, there's of course the  strudel:  apple strudel (Apfelstrudel) and topfenstrudel (basically a cheese strudel) are the most famous, but the list of strudels goes on .... and ... on.  
I was almost a little upset to see the new Toaster Strudel commercial that has a little boy dressed in authentic clothing.  Oh toaster strudel.  You are nothing like the real thing.
Karen got the topfenstrudel and everyone loved it!
Vienna even has their own specialty coffee drinks. 

  • Kleiner Brauner and Großer Brauner: Means "little brown one" or "large brown one" and comes close to what people consider to be ordinary coffee: black with a bit of milk, yet typically not filtered, but steamed like espresso.
  • Melange: The king of coffee, a mix of frothed milk and steamed coffee similar to the Italian cappuccino, but consumed at any time of the day.
  • Milchkaffee or Café latte: A large coffee with frothed milk, has been around for a long time, but recently gained popularity probably due to its fancy Italian name that sounds much cooler than "Milchkaffee".
  • Einspänner: Strong, black coffee typically served in a high glass with a dash of whipped cream.
  • Verlängerter: A diluted and thus weaker, but larger version of the Großer Brauner, typically served with milk. Means "extended one".
  • Schwarzer or Mokka: Strong, black coffee, normally consumed with a lot of sugar, but served without.
  • Kurzer or Espresso: The same coffee, in recent years the Austrian term "Kurzer" (meaning "short one") has almost gone extinct and these days, the international "Espresso" is to be found on the menus much more commonly.
  • Eiskaffee: Cold coffee with vanilla ice cream, chocolate and whipped cream - served typically in the summer months, but ideal for the hot season. Only ice tea is more refreshing.
  • Cappuccino: What is sold in Austria under that name is NOT the Italian (thus not the international) version of a cappuccino, but a regional variation made from coffee and whipped cream rather than frothed milk.
  • The Maria Teresa is Viennese coffee, whip cream, and apricot liqueur.
  • Apparently, I just read, "There is no coffee in Austria. That′s right: there are easily a dozen of coffee variations available in a decent café and ordering simply "coffee" might make the waiter slap you in disgust."  I'll give you one guess for what I ordered.  Yep, coffee.  Black.  Maybe that's why my cup was half way filled?  So I could fill the rest with cream?  I did not.
Karen ordered a Maria Teresa.
She figured it was as close as she would get to her flavored coffees, which is the only way she'll drink coffee.
Cafe Sacher
Karen's order
P.S. Since October 2011 the "Viennese Coffee House Culture" is listed as "Intangible Cultural Heritage" in the Austrian inventory of the "National Agency for the Intangible Cultural Heritage", a part of UNESCO. The Viennese coffee house is described in this inventory as a place "where time and space are consumed, but only the coffee is found on the bill."

P.P.S.  I did see a Julius Meinl in Vienna.  Yes, the same brand that's in Chicago.  So there you go, it's in the Viennese style.  As Anthony, our Program Director, talked about how they serve the coffee on a tray with a water, I kept thinking, 'that's not soooo strange, that's what they do at Julius Meinl (with a biscuit).'  Well, apparently Julius Meinl does it because it's the Viennese style.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!