Skip to main content

Helloooo Chicago

I am officially back in the city after a busy few weeks!

In the last few weeks, I spent Christmas in Missouri with my family, went to the United Kingdom with some friends, and headed back to Missouri for some family time and a cousin's wedding.  

Yesterday, Karen & I set off driving for Chicago as it was snowing hard at my parents.  And of all the travels, this ended up being the most interesting.

That is how it looked for the first half of our drive (3 hours).  Then the sun set and it got real.

Before we left a combination of Mom & Dad:
(Jeff and his family left at the same time as us.)
You follow each other out to 55, then you can split.  (Jeff went south, we went north.)
Don't take 61.  Take 32.  61 will not be in good shape.
Don't be afraid to stop and get a motel for the night.

Who knew how necessary that would become.

I took the first shift and after an hour driving like the hunchback of notre dame from stress, which we went what should have taken about 35 minutes.  Then Karen took over and I'm pretty sure she had it in her head she wanted to drive to Springfield and then switch.

After one of our ramps was closed, the number of cars/tractor trailers that slid off the road kept increasing, we sat on the interstate in park for 45 minutes from an accident (we weren't even sure which one it was once we finally drove through), the wind picked up so we drove on the interstate with our brights on (which is a no no, but no one could see anything anyway so we don't think we impeded anyone's judgement), finally giving in to the masses and driving with our flashers on... we reached Springfield 6 hours after leaving my parents.  (That's about double what it should take...maybe a bit more than double.)

We were done.

We found a hotel.  Used some of my hotel points and parked it for the evening.

We woke up bright (full disclosure:  it was still dark) and early and headed to Chicago in the bitter cold.  We did indeed arrive in Chiberia (that seems to be what people have named it) and saw someone running on the path.  Yes, it is -10.  Never discount Chicagoans.

Happy Monday and I'll have some recaps/interesting facts about my recent travels coming your way soon...hopefully.

Comments

  1. Oh man, I'm so glad to hear that you guys spent the night! No reason to break your neck for a trip. Glad you're back safe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Veggie Tinga

I made Vegetarian Tinga for a mexican pot luck I went to on Tuesday.


Many people have never heard of Tinga, let alone knowing you can make it vegetarian style.  You absolutely can!  And it's so easy.


Traditional tinga is made of shredded chicken with chipotle flavoring.  I used cabbage instead of the chicken.


I looked at a lot of different recipes online, but couldn't find a recipe for the veggie tinga I had in mind, so I ended up combining the guidelines of those recipes and making my own.


Here's what I did:


1 onion
1 head of cabbage
1 7oz. can chipotle (the peppers in adobo sauce)
5 ish roma tomatoes
olive oil


-Saute onion in olive oil.
-Chop cabbage (I used youtube to help me figure out the best way to do that) add to onion and saute.
-Blend the chipotle and tomatoes in blender.
Note:  Some people only like to add the sauce from the chipotle peppers.  I added the entire can (including the peppers themselves).  It's up to you depending on how spicy you want it.  (I like my food s…

Registration

*Karen tells me that is not what I'm supposed to say, but it makes sense in my head...

Saturday I was in San Antonio for work, I did get to hang out with a friend while I was in town so that definitely made the trip better, combined with the fact that the volunteers there are just wonderful.

I knew Sunday was going to be overwhelming before I left on Friday.  I always write lists when I'm overwhelmed, I wrote a list.  (Even though I hardly referenced it on Sunday.)  Just writing it down helps me feel better.

Sunday we registered for at two places, starting at 9am.  When we finished the second one (which we were both dragging ourselves through) it felt like it was time for bed...it was 2pm.  Guys, this experience brought so much clarity to people's registerys.  I would not necessarily say it was a fun experience.  And I am very happy Mike seems to have a vision because we would limit the insane number of options down to a couple options together and then I would say I don'…

Moisturizer

I said when I turned 30 in January I was going to start using moisturizer.  Now, 6 months later, I can say I've kind of achieved the goal, but not really...

I have a moisturizer from several years ago, which I received as a Christmas gift.  I used it off and on over the years, mostly off.  I've probably used it more this year than ever before, granted the bar was very low.

I don't like it though.  I don't like the smell or really how it feels either.

Then I heard True Botanicals released a lower-priced Basics collection designed for younger skin, technically for people in their 20s, but whatever.  I decided to try their hydrating oil (the smallest one) to see if I am able to be consistent with use.

First impression: I'm still figuring out how much to use, but I love the smell.