Skip to main content

Latest in Reading

The Orphan Master's Son - Adam Johnson
This was my new book club's first book.  It was pretty eye opening.  This one is based in North Korea and when I first started reading I thought it was based years ago, but no, definitely based now.  To be honest, I've never really thought about North Korea.  This book will definitely have you thinking about North Korea, among many other things.  If you read it, take special note how they represent the US.  Yuck.
Anyway, this one is not uplifting, but definitely interesting and a great book club book!
And this book is why I currently have an issue with Denis Rodman's actions.

Why Time Begins on Opening Day - Thomas Boswell
Coincidentally, I read this one during the end of the Cardinals baseball season.  I don't know a lot about 80's baseball.  Just that the Cardinals were fast and won the world series in '82.
Oh, but how I loved this book.  It made me crave baseball and now I really want to make a trip to Cooperstown.  Just sit there with the feel of greats & tell/hear baseball stories.

Half Blood Blues - Esi Edugyan
This was another book club read.  It's historical fiction, based in Europe, mostly during WWII and it has a twist I never expected!
With book club our conversation seemed to center around the narrator.  We talked about difficult it was to see what was really going on because everything was presented through his view and perceptions.  It was actually really interesting.
For some reason at this book club, I felt very insightful.  Yay!  I guess we all have our days.

Start Something that Matters - Blake Mycoskie
Yes, this is the guy that started Toms.  Regardless of your feelings towards Toms, this is a great read.  
I was in a tough spot.  I knew I needed an idea and to make a change.
I was a bit intrigued by this book while visiting the Missouri Botanical Gardens with my family, but decided I didn't need it.  My dad (and I think Karen had something to do with it too) snuck it in his pile and purchased the book for me.
I was on a 8 hour flight to Europe with very little in flight entertainment.  Boom.  Ideas started flowing.  

The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes
January book club.
Very interesting book on how we write our own history remembering what happened in a different way than others because of our own perspective.  This what a short book, and a quick read, that had a lot going on.  One of the many topics to think about are consequences of things you may not think twice about, in this case a scathing letter.

I hosted this one and decided to get creative with character names (partly so we could refresh ourselves since most of us read the book a bit before we were able to get together.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!