Skip to main content

One Year Later

It's hard to believe that today is my one year anniversary at my job.

It's honestly gone by SO fast!

One year ago, I started my job Monday, completely worn down by my constant travel schedule at my old job and hopped on a plane to Orlando for our annual conference on Tuesday.  I remember telling this to friends and receiving confused looks since one of my reasons for leaving my old job was the exhausting travel schedule...and here I was traveling the first week.  I had to explain it wouldn't be constant.  I've traveled for work four times in the past year, and I'm perfectly comfortable.

I was thrown in with people I didn't know, who all knew each other, to work a conference where I didn't know anything about the association.  But I learned a lot.  And now, some of those people are great friends.  I love the community.  It's so different from anything I've experienced before.
day 3 on the job
One thing I would say about starting a new job is don't rush anything.
Don't rush friendships.  Don't think you'll know everything right away.  Take a step back and watch, but be willing to offer your fresh eyes to existing processes, gently.  A program you think doesn't make any sense may be the baby of the person you're talking to, and when you're new, you have no idea.  Enjoy the learning process.

I love that we have many annual events so all year I was doing different things, not the same thing over and over.  (Except for the monthly financials, which is my least favorite task, and we don't need to talk about that.)  I'm excited to have experienced these events once for this coming year and come up with new ideas.  

The business I work for mails out one year anniversary cards and my two bosses wrote such nice (and true) notes inside!  I think I'll leave it up all year long.

I think the fact that I'm excited for the next year says it all.
And next week I head to San Diego for our annual conference and I can't wait to have the experience with the knowledge and understanding I've gained in the last year.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!