Skip to main content

Jess y Marcos Wedding - Mexico City

I hadn't been to a wedding in Mexico before.  (Only many quinceañeras.) So this was not only a new experience for Mike, but me too.  I felt like the wedding was completely different than US weddings, but Mike didn't feel it was all that different.  So take that as you will.

Let me start off with one of my favorite pictures from the trip and some introductions.

Left to Right:
Carlos & Maggie:  this was actually the first time I met Maggie although I've heard of her a lot.  She is originally from Australia and studied abroad with Jess in Mexico City during college.  She mostly stuck around Mexico as well and is living there now.  Carlos is her boyfriend from Mexico City.
Vero:  Vero was one of my best girlfriends in Mexico City.  She is amazing and so kind and she was my savior at the reception...more on that.
Me & Mike - you know us
Jackie:  Jackie was in our volunteer program in Mexico the year before Melissa and I came.  We actually only met last year at Caro's wedding even though we heard about her all the time.  Mike & I shared a hotel room with her and she and Mike became buddies.  She currently lives in New Jersey.
Javier & Ricardo: are brothers who live in Mexico City.  Javier was in the same university class as Jess when she studied abroad and we were able to spend some time with them when we lived there, especially Ricardo.
Caro & James:  Caro lived in the house with Jess, Melissa and I when we were there for the year.  James is her husband.  They currently live in San Antonio.
Emma & Bill:  Emma lived in the house the two years following me.  I actually just met her on this trip, even though I heard of her all the time.  Bill is her boyfriend.  Emma currently lives in D.C. and Bill in New Orleans.

The picture was taken right after the ceremony while Jess and Marcos were taking some pictures by the mural Marcos painted in the church.  That's how they met, while he was painting.

The mass took place at the parish we all went to when we were there so we drove by our old house and walked through the market before mass started.  Mass was bilingual with some parts in English and some in Spanish most in Spanish.

The reception was down the hill a bit and it was beautiful.  Some things that I noticed were different.

  • I didn't know they used the "chickity boom a la bim bom ba" chant for anything but birthdays.  They sure do...a lot, followed by a mexican song that I love.  
  • They had us line up to give gifts and take a picture with Jess and Marcos.
  • You wave your napkin over your head while they bring out the first dish.
  • They split up the events throughout the evening with some games in the middle of the reception.  Like when we all link hands and run around the reception.  I wish I was exaggerating.  My feet started throbbing after the run.  Throbbing.  The goal is to knock Jess or Marcos off the chairs they were standing on.
girls then boys
  • Salsa plays at the beginning.  Then they move into more fiesta music.  Then a bit more salsa to end at midnight.  
  • The dance floor was full the entire night.
  • Most of the tables were still full at midnight and people lingered at their tables.  There didn't seem to be any rush to leave.  Typical Mexico.
My little story.  As the slow achy breaky heart came on (which mexicans have a dance to) and several of my friends tried to pull me out on the floor, this was right after the run around the reception hall, I couldn't go.  My friend, Vero, who was at Jess's brunch in the morning offered me her sandals, which I complimented in the morning.  She saved me!  And we were back out there!


I went to return her shoes at the end of the night and I forgot the Mexican rule.  If you compliment something the other person has, they give it to you.  Seriously and literally.  Sometimes off their back.  Vero said the shoes were mine.  I persisted because I could not take her shoes.  She finally accepted after I explained they were a little tight, which was only a slight exaggeration and she asked what size I wear.  "One size larger," I said.

Also, if you saw her shoes, which she wore all night, you would laugh at my complaining.

Mike gave me a piggy back ride to Javier's car.

And Javier, Jackie, Emma, Bill, Mike and I piled into Javier's small car Mexican style and we were off for tacos to wrap up the night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!