Skip to main content

oh español

ohhhh spanish

this is going to be a challenge for me and i definitely go up and down for whether or not i'm up for it. sat. night we had our first spanish only meal (only spanish spoken at the table). in case you forgot saturday was an extremely tiring day for me and i got to dinner and i wanted to shoot myself. everyone was trying to include me and speak to me and i just wanted to crawl in a hole. i just kept thinking, 'please stop talking to me.' they did lay off a little bit. then i actually tried and everyone was so wonderful and helpful! that's the key. i won't learn anything by sitting back and watching/listening. i'll admit i was frustrated. yeah, i didn't know most of what was said at the table, which was hard to deal with at first, but i know it will get better, especially since we're planning on having one spanish only meal everyday until we leave.

sunday's mass was beautiful and wonderful and we even received a blessing, but it was a spanish & english mass and i thought it was mostly spanish, but maybe that just shows my frustration. i sat right next to the mariachi band and i don't think there was a better seat in the house. but again it was a wonderful experience & beneficial for me too.

it's like everything in life. it's hard at first and then you get into the groove. poco a poco (little by little)

everyone here is SUPER helpful though...
melissa is SO patient with me. she's the one who's my charades friend during dinner. She's not afraid to look silly and act everything out for me. she'll work with me on pronunciation and everything. when we were walking around one time linda was trying to help me learn to roll my rs. i kept trying what she was telling me and didn't sound anything like a rolling r. melissa says, "i think i heard it that time." i just laughed and said no you didn't. she says she's used to working with kids so she's so helpful.
jenn tries so hard to include me at the dinner table (even when i can tell she's super tired). she's also SUPER fluent in spanish! she tries to ask me things she knows i can talk about and she's still patient with me when i still don't get it and i start looking things up in my dictionary (yes-i have it with me at the table) she just waits.
andrea comes up to me after every meal and asks what i learned. this way i can't just say i'm paying attention and learning i have to report back to her. she also checks in with me during the meal "¿todos bien?"
mike seems to think we're on the same level, but we're not... he's more advanced than me... always comes up to me after meals and expresses his frustrations as well. i appreciate it because it shows i'm not the only one. and we talk about how tired it makes us.
marcelle lends me her flashcards and other resources she brought along to help herself learn and i make myself continue to go through them.

i can't thank ALL of them enough.

meg says her dad always said after graduation from college every day is finals. i think everyday for me for quite awhile is going to be a spanish final.

i think my little pocket dictionary is going to become my most prized possession. i've started taking it with me everywhere.

si se puede

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!