Skip to main content

welcome to santa fe

12 hours on the bus and we´re here!

it was a long 12 hour bus ride yesterday, but we made it. we got to the bus station and the attendant said the bus would arrive at 7:55 mas or menos (more or less)...it´s a favorite saying here. After waiting until 9 I told Melissa they should just say mas and leave the menos off. we were a little afraid the bus would leave without us at stops so we only got off once from the 3 stops they had. they played movies the whole time (in spanish of course). if melissa or i saw one we would give the other person the synopsis so we could sort of follow along.

the girls planned a welcome fiesta for us saturday...

i don´t have time for a real entry right now, but i will when i get a chance (jess is giving us a tour of santa fe and we´re only at our first stop).

i did want to post this from jenn´s blog. i read it when she posted it and told her how much i loved it and she said i could feel free to use it... so i will. (she´s now in peru)
^Preparing to leave for Peru in less than 48 hours now, I am aware of the large community I have supporting me, and I thank each and everyone of you. I am also aware that many are worried or concerned for my safety and well-being. I would like to challenge you to worry or be concerned just as much for all those who daily live the realities I will be experiencing and worse. If you hope that I am welcomed by the community, ask yourself if you are welcoming to strangers and offer hospitality to those who are new or in need. If you worry about me not having enough to eat, think of the thousands who die daily from starvation, they are part of my body as well. If you worry about me being robbed, think of those who not only have money or possessions stolen, but have their houses destroyed and their land taken away. Hundreds if not thousands are robbed daily of their culture, their roots, their home and family. If you worry about me being sick, think of all the preventable diseases which claim the lives of many because we have not learned how to share our resources and knowledge. If you worry about my health and saftey, ask why my health and safety are threatened. What are the structures that create poverty so some must steal from others because they have been stolen from? Or why are there greater health risks in impoverished areas with little to no health care? See if any of your worries or concerns for me can become motivations for social and structural change. Everything is interconnected and we are all part of the same body and the one Spirit. When one part suffers, we all suffer, and when one part rejoices we all rejoice. If you care about me, if you care about yourself, care about Our body and work to protect it. Work to ensure that all parts, all peoples, are treated with dignity and respect, and in that I too will be treated with dignity and respect.^
and a special one from me- when you hear someone struggling with english please be patient and speak a little more slowly with lots of hand guestures and think of me.

great advice as i said good bye to jenn at the bus stop monday ^be patient with yourself^

love you all

Comments

  1. Please tell Jenn that I enjoyed her passage as well and wish you and her the very best on your travels. One of the things that I learned when I went to the Social Justice Training Institute was many of the things that she listed in that... so thanks to her and to you for sharing!

    I think your experience is going to be absolutely amazing and can't wait to follow you on your blog! :) miss you rottler!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!