Skip to main content

welcome to san antonio

So with all the changes I know i'll be experiencing in the next while and all the unknowns I know one thing about the next 2 weeks. It's going to be hot! Now I have to say it for my Missourians... it's a dry heat. =) Which is always nice. Although Texans consider it a humid heat.


My flight was landing and over the intercom they said it was 100 degrees.





I loved the welcoming! I met Meg and Mike at the airport without a problem and we headed to our orientation home at the Mexican American Catholic College on the west side of San Antonio. It's a very working class neighborhood, but there's a lake that I'm anxious to take a run at. I tried to go this morning, but got a little lost so I gave myself a nice tour of the area =) I started the run to the sound of a rooster. (I'm not kidding.)

It was a nice break from all the goodbyes with lots of smiles and hugs.

When we got to MACC 4 others already arrived and we all ended up hopping in a 15 passenger van to pick the last 2 up from the airport later.



There are 16 missioners already in sites and there are 8 of us at orientation.



Monterrey-these 4 are starting this community

Mike-grew up in St. Louis. Went to Mizzou & graduated last year. Worked with JVC in Cleveland last year and is with IWM for 1 year.

Andrea-moved around while growing up, but attended college at St. Mary's (affiliated with Notre Dame). She's with IWM for 1 year (I think). She was so excited yesterday it was amazing! She was the first one to get up and give me a great hug when I walked into the Fiesta Room yesterday. She said her cheeks hurt from smiling so much. She's wonderful!

Linda-just retired. I admire her greatly because she set-up a storage unit with some of her things, but sold everything else. She's a go-getter and she's worked in many different facets (to say the least) and seems to have a connection everywhere. She lives in San Antonio.

Paula-is from England. She is in her early 30s and seems like a wonderful person to calm you down if you're stressed, she has very loving words.



Peru

Jenn-just graduated from SLU. She's had a lot of experience in community and loves St. Louis. She's originally from Iowa so we talked about Ragbrai a little bit =) She brought her teddy bear, which kind-of made me wish I brought snuggles, but i'm really trying to grow up...

Marcelle-is also in her 30s. She is from around this area as well. She has a couple degrees with nursing being one of them. She currently (well i guess not anymore) worked in the ER and she is excited to get out of the hospital.



and....Mexico City (D.F.)

Melissa-just graduated from Loyola. I like her already. It's funny that her best friend from Loyola, Hannah, is best friends (from high school) with one of my best friends from DePaul, Inez. We're roommates here and I'm excited to be her housemate in Mexico!



I guess I assumed we would fly to Mexico City, but apparently we're taking the bus. Honestly, when I first heard this I got very excited. We'll get to see so much more of Mexico this way. Apparently, we'll go to Monterrey stay the night with the group who will stay there and then head on our way to D.F. Sounds like it'll be around 13 hours in total. Can't wait! But as Meg reminded us today...stay in the moment. She said it's like Christmas. We have advent before when everyone is super excited for Christmas, but we just need to wait and prepare ourselves and it will be even more wonderful than we think.



She also brought up the point of letting go of all expectations. I honestly don't have all that many so I don't think that should be extremely hard. They gave us journals (very nice ones in fact) and Meg said write down all our expectations to get them out and forget about them.



It's so strange how so many of us know mutual people, etc. Meg calls it the six degrees of separation in the social justice world.

This morning for our introductions we got a blank sheet of paper and were told to draw ourselves as trees. I think mine was the most strange... i drew a person (myself) doing the tree pose in Oz Park. I said how your toes are your roots and they keep expanding, but don't get smaller. It's your strong base, family, close friends, etc. I think I have some pretty strong roots and I'm very lucky for that. Your fingers spread out into the wind and you have to adapt to the wind around you. You adjust. like life. When something comes at you, you work with it and move on. Sometimes you fall out of the pose. That's ok. Get back up and try again. I also drew a normal tree off to the side because I am unique and although I'm in the tree pose, I'm not like that. (That's the basics of what I said.) Everyone's tree was very different. It was great. Who knew you could learn so much from a tree? =)



Quote of the day: "You are there to listen." ... not to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike