Skip to main content

moving on from 2010

i do think 2010 has been a somewhat rough year for me. with the abrupt end to my time in mexico to job searching for what seemed like forever to just now starting a job. but, through the turmoil i've learned who's really there for me through thick and thin. so here i am...hoping for a better 2011, but i can only hope for as much personal growth because in 2010 i grew A LOT.


i made a list for myself of ideas i want to put more effort to implement in my life in 2011 and beyond:


*i keep saying i need to clean out my closet, but i'm going to DO it! i have so many unneeded clothes. i need to donate them and open up space and refresh. i could easily count the number of clothing items i had in mexico. now there's no way i could do that. i don't necessarily want to go to the level i was at in mexico, but i do want to clear some out.


*sort-of with that i want to eliminate clutter. it just happens so easily a little here a little there and bam. i have a mess. every day or at least every other day, not only when i know someone is coming over.


*relax during my commute. honestly, my least favorite part of my job is getting there and especially home. i'm usually stressed getting there because i don't want to be late and it's so hard to plan those buses. then after i just want to get home! i'm tired.


*one thing i started I guess in mexico that i definitely want to continue is reading. sometimes i read the fiction, entertaining books and other times i mix it up with non-fiction that i always learn things from and i end up talking with people and referencing them in life. i love reading when it's not assigned.


*i want to be intentional about reflecting regularly. i was getting good for awhile (i journal), but it gets pushed to the background too easily.


*i want to do it NOW. so many times i say i'll do it tomorrow when ___ or i'll do it next week after _____. i'm going to embrace the saying (that i just made up) "today is the perfect day"


*i want to keep improving my spanish.

it will definitely help that i'm using spanish at work.

one of my friends wants to improve her spanish too. actually, before i left i met up with her a couple times to try and get me to learn spanish. now i may have passed her up in some areas (i would hope so after living a year in mexico), but i think she can teach me technical stuff that she learned in a traditional class too. so we're going to start getting together to work on spanish. not only is this something i want to do, but i can't wait for an excuse to spend more time with her either! win, win!


*i love chicago. i really do. i want to see more of it. i'm going to do at least one thing a month this year within chicago to get out and experience it. especially since this year i'm lucky enough to have free admission to basically all of the museums since i'm employed by the adler. so look forward to those blogs. i would like to say more often, but i want to be realistic.

i mean you never know what's waiting for you around the corner


*my job right now is a temporary position that ends at the end of december. i really like it, but i do think i'll want to move on at the end. so i'm making a job board. i'm going to glue, write, etc. things i see that i like to do or what i think would be interesting jobs, etc. then when oct. comes i can pull out my job board and get an idea where i want to head next.


*i've always kind-of wanted to do hot yoga. especially after getting a massage and basically having the masseuse lecture me about how tight my shoulders and hips were (i think a result from running a lot)...yoga was encouraged as well as different stretching. and i've been interested in hot yoga for awhile. so i want to do it.

and icing on the cake. i just got some coupons for free classes! yea!


so i met up with my friend mike (he was in the same program as me last year, but he was in monterrey) awhile ago and i was talking to him about how "everyone else changed so much." he said, "lisa, you changed too." i guess so. and i have to remind myself of that every time i think of a friend and wonder what they're thinking or why they did what they did.

so i enjoyed my growth in 2010 and we're on to 2011...


HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!


sidenote: today is like 50 degrees. it's like spring. nice and balmy. i would like it to stay like this all winter. thanks.

i won't hold my breath. don't worry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!