Skip to main content

the new job

So here I am at my first real job. I'd like to thank everyone who called to wish me good luck. I told myself I'd call everyone back and let them know how it went after my first day, but I still haven't had the time/energy to do so. Sorry! But I really do appreciate it!

So I'm on my lunch break...don't worry I'm not doing this during work time (i honestly don't have time). There are 2 other Assistant Educators who work with me (we each have a different focus) and we're pretty diligent about taking our lunch time for ourselves (well today is my third day and my first day the department took me out and yesterday i didn't have time for lunch so i guess i should say today is my first time and i'm going to be diligent).

I will start with the most frustrating parts so i can get it out of the way. The commute. It's awful basically. Getting here can take anywhere from a half hour to an hour. And how would you know. You can't. That's why it's so difficult. Getting home there's just so much traffic, but then I'm usually not on a time crunch so it's not such a big deal.
Oh and I guess this goes up here. I am working the night of my birthday. Attending a very important meeting in Pilsen. I'm actually really excited about the meeting and I'm not a huge fan of celebrating my bday. I usually feel I should plan something because my friends feel like it shouldn't be ignored, but now I have an excuse and a very valid one at that. And i'll probably get the morning off, since i'm working late so i'll get to sleep and take my time at the gym and getting ready. Sounds like a great bday to me!

Oh where to start. I like it. It's just super overwhelming and tiring right now. As well as being a very active job (which I like). Combining my first two days I was probably at my desk for a total of 2-3 hours. The rest of the time I was in meetings or in the museum, doing tours, learning educational carts, and family programs. I saw a couple of the movies too, which is especially important as everyone talks about them.

I definitely don't have much me time anymore. I am excited for Sunday to clean my apt. and recuperate.

It looks like my main job is the dome (which i talked about before), but i also do tours, family workshops, and carts when they need me. so this means i need to learn all of it. (I have a binder of different tours, workshops and carts. It's a big binder) This is going to take time so I don't have a problem being patient with myself.

I am definitely being thrown in during holiday madness though. #1 I have no vacation days (i haven't accrued any) #2 they have a cookie exchange monday. Luckily I don't work Mondays so I won't be participating in that. #3 the holiday party. #4 secret santa, which i still don't know what's going on, but they put my name in so i have to do it. my oh my

Then one of the Assistant Educators (AE) is having a get together for the past and present AEs get to know each other. So I get to meet the guy who had my position before me, which will be good. Learn some of the tricks of the trade.

So that's a brief 'what's going on?' explanation. I keep hearing mixed reviews, but it sounds like we might get a pretty gross snow storm this weekend. So i'm not really looking forward to that, but it's winter. It's been super cold and white here for the last week or so.

I hope you all are enjoying your holidays. I am in the holiday spirit, especially after having such a different experience with the holidays last year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike