Skip to main content

happy 2012!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
2012 is here for another 365 days.  (or less, if you believe the world is going to end)
i like the sound of 2012
i'm excited


do you make resolutions?
i made a few, but here's one that i'm really going to start...


Thank people too.
Maybe that sounds silly.
Yes, I thank people with words when I'm at the grocery store, etc.  I say thank you a lot.  But how often are people much more excited/willing to tell a story when something goes wrong or someone is mean rather than when something goes well (or according to plan).
Let's take the Christmas megabus trip for example.  Yes, I reported the bus driver and got my money refunded (he really was quite mean and didn't do his job).  I feel kind-of bad about it.  But you know what, the bus driver I had on the greyhound was very nice (and not only because I was comparing him to the mean one).  I emailed them to recognize him too.  Because he deserves it.
At work the floor staff loves when they get positive comment cards.
That recognition means a lot.  I feel that it's not the norm anymore.
When something doesn't go right I can be quick to ask who can I talk to about this, what's your name (so I can report you), etc.  (I worked in a gift card fulfillment place answering phones.  I've been on the other side.)  Am I that quick to ask the same questions when I receive excellent service?  No.
So there it is.  That's one of my New Year's Resolutions:  take the time to give recognition when it's appropriate.  Not just think I should and forget or get busy and don't do it.
Give credit when credit's due.
Greyhound sent me an email thanking me for taking the time to recognize my driver and they would let his supervisor know.  That was nice of them too.  See, it just makes everybody feel better.


------------------------------------
I'm starting out the new year with a clean apartment!
I dug in pretty hard for day one, taking a few breaks.  I even cleared off the decorations on the walls in my bedroom and I'm planning a new decoration for my living room.  (And I'll have to come up with something new in my bedroom too.)
Then I wrapped up the day watching When Harry Met Sally.  That movie cracks me up.  And I love the old people with their stories interspersed throughout the movie.
Tomorrow I'm supposed to spend the day with a friend, but then I'm wrapping up my New Year's of cleaning and I'm excited.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike