Skip to main content

prayers

I'm very thankful for everything involved with my birthday (I'll do a post on that later).  But sometimes something happens that puts life into perspective and it makes you thankful for a lot.


i've mentioned jess on here several times before.  She's been my best friend since 6th grade (we both have an array of embarrassing stories about each other).  Of my friends she knows me the best (besides Karen).  We've been through a lot together.
some school lock-in in middle school

trick-or-treat for canned goods junior year
i won scariest costume.  yes, really.
it may have been from sympathy.
that's flour on my face.  it rained.  think about it.  it becomes like plaster.
on my face.
senior year 
senior year
graduation
after high school, I headed to Chicago and she stayed in Missouri for college.  We stuck together through it all.  

She was always willing to let me take pictures... =)
(thanks jess)
She married Jarrit in August 2009.
Since then they've been building their lives together.  Including building a beautiful home.
They broke ground over a year ago & they worked so hard finishing it, doing as much as they could themselves.  Which was A LOT!  Jarrit is very handy.
Jess came to Greta's baby shower after a morning spraying the insulation in their home.
Every time I talked to her, at some point in the conversation, I always asked, "How's the house coming?" or "What are the house updates?"
I spoke with her Monday, January 16th & we excitedly discussed the finishing touches, the last thing was supposed to happen this week.  (They lived in the house while they worked on it.)  We were SO excited for their home.
Thursday, January 19th she called & left me a voicemail for my birthday.  I didn't listen to the message until Friday.  (I'm bad with voicemail.)  I immediately felt something was off in her voice.
We know each other a bit too well for our own good.  When I'm really upset about something I can't seem to shake and I'm not ready to admit it yet, I typically try to avoid her calls because I know she'll see right through it.
Karen said she thought something happened, but didn't really understand what.  Then Dad called me (news travels fast in a small town, especially bad news) that Jess & Jarrit's house had a fire.
He mentioned someone set-up an account at US Bank in Ste. Genevieve, but I still didn't really know what happened.
So I kept calling her.
Maybe it was a bit annoying and pushy, but I love her and I was worried.  So I kept calling.
When we did talk and I asked what I can do she of course said everyone is being extremely generous and helping them get clothes, soap, etc.  They didn't just have a house fire.  Their house burnt to the ground.

She asked me to pray for them.  

I will pray for them of course, but I want to do something more.
I really want to sit with her for hours give her lots of hugs and just talk and talk.  That's hard to do when you're hundreds of miles away.
This is when I contacted Dad about this fund set-up to get the details.  And I'm going to get together the best gift package I've ever thought up.  (At least I hope so.)
I asked Mom what the most helpful thing someone did for her after our house fire (I was in 7th grade... it's all a blur at this point).  
*She said my Aunt Marcia & Grandma did our laundry, since we were at a hotel for awhile. (I remember living in that hotel for weeks-Jeff, Karen, & I shared a room-Jeff turned on Walker Texas Ranger and the first scene was an arsonist setting fire to people's houses.  I started crying immediately.  Let's just say Jeff didn't watch that episode of Walker Texas Ranger.)  
*She said someone finding us a house we could rent so we could have a place that was ours in the process.  
*Routine.  She looked for routine so she could go on.  She said everyday she would go back to our half burnt down house (full of smoke damage) and open and close the curtains because that was her routine.

So that'll put things into perspective.

I ask you to pray for them as well as they figure out what their next steps are going to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!