Skip to main content

Memorial Day Recap with Friends

Sometimes things happen and you don't realize how much you need it to happen the way it does until after.

I hope you had a lovely Memorial Day.  I'm very happy to report I pretty much completely logged out of the online world from Saturday morning through yesterday afternoon.  I mean, I used spotify for a bit, but that was it.  Too much talking and things to do.  It was lovely.

I think I'm going to approach this from a let the photos tell the stories because that's more fun anyway... right?

Friday night started out with an amazing friend date.  Rubina & I hit up Michaels, dinner, & drinks at quite possibly my new favorite dive.  Oh, Broadway, thank you for supplying me with such an abundant number of dive bars.  Probably exactly what I needed.
and yes, i just broke my own rule.  I don't have any photos from our outing...

Saturday morning I enjoyed a 13 mile run, while the weather may not have been perfect beach weather, it was definitely perfect running weather.  Then Karen was failing at communication so I headed to the farmer's market and fell in love with it all over again.  I'm pretty sure I solidified my favorite stand for the year (from Michigan) because the lady working was SO nice.
OMG asparagus everywhere!  Yum!

Karen arrived and we took a little ride on the path downtown.  The path was super quiet (probably because of the weather & people seem to leave the city for holidays), which was fun for us.

We went to the Cardinals bar to watch the game and ordered a bucket and food before we discovered the game was bumped from being broadcast because of the blackhawks game.  I was not happy.  I probably sulked and I did indeed set my phone on the table and watch what was happening in the game I wanted to be watching, pitch by pitch.  Yes, I was being sassy.  

Sunday morning Karen & I went out for a run.  She ran a mile with me and stopped to read her book while I kept going.  She did great!  The sun was out.  Lake Shore Drive was full of bikers for Bike the Drive.  It was such a peaceful, lovely morning.  I got back to my exit to find Karen waving to me.  She even ran the mile back to the start all alone!!  
What is necessary next?  Brunch.  Where when the waiter saw I brought my own to-go box (which I do pretty regularly) he said, "mind blown."  You're welcome mr. waiter.

Time for a nice little walk.
yes, i make her use a coffee cup for her lattes 
Sunday afternoon Karen & I biked to Justin & Jason's for their Memorial Day party.  
Karen's an expert pourer ;)
I didn't realize it, but, apparently, on the way there, I was quite rude and went too fast.  (Once Karen told me, and we were almost there, I did indeed slow down, but I didn't know the majority of the way.)  The way home, Karen really enjoyed herself though.  (She said so.)  And where's the proof you ask... she stopped to take a photo at a stop light.

Although for some reason Karen always remembers Spin and as we pulled up to the stoplight (close to my place) she said, "Oh Spin, I've never been happier to see you."  And I burst out laughing.
Seriously, that girl puts up with more of my quirks than anyone else and she loves me anyway.

Monday was more brunch and errand time.  Including a stop at Whole Foods for some more almonds from the bulk section.  Every time I use their bulk things I forget how to work them to get the almonds to come out.  I was so excited I figured it out again that I had WAY to much in my bag.  Anyone else have that problem?  I mean, way too many almonds.  Oh well, they don't go bad.

Right now I'm reading a book and they mention... well... here is the quote
Journalist Valerie Frankel wrote in Self magazine about the types of friends a woman needs to be happy.  "Psychologists have long described four major types of friendships," she wrote.  "1) The acquaintance, someone you'd chat with on the street or at a local cafe, who gives you a sense of belonging; 2) the casual friend, a 'grab lunch' pals who often serves a specific purpose, such as a tennis or running partner; 3) the close buddy, an intimate, trustworthy comrade you can say anything to; and 4) the lifer, who's as deep and forever as family."  Frankel's research found that women should have 3 to 5 lifers, 5 to 12 close friends, 10 to 50 casuals, and 10 to 100 acquaintances.
I take this and put it in my own interpretation, of course.  When friends are down, it can be hard to be there for them.  It's just not as much fun to be around someone who's down (I know, I've been around friends when they're down too).  I'm lucky to have friends who are there for me when I'm down, like now.  I love that they all take different approaches to get info.  Karen says, "Would you like to talk about ____?"  And sometimes I say no.  I generally have to be ready to share, but once I am... grab a seat.  Rubina is really good to bring it up, but then she waits until I'm ready and get on a roll and share everything.  Then we analyze and cite studies and listen and talk it out.  
I don't think it's necessary to classify friends.  I think of friends as friends and different ones come through at different times.  I just really appreciate when people are there to listen and analyze and be there for me.
Thanks friends!

And a funny story to wrap up my post, which didn't make sense anyway.  Karen & I were watching a movie.  I told her to pick her blanket off the floor because it was messing up my sewing patterns (which to be honest, were not organized).  She rolled her eyes and picked it up.  A few minutes later she said, "I am so uncomfortable."  and moved a chair over to prop her feet on.  She set it to perfectly, completely, block my view.  I said, "I'm glad it is much better for you now."  Then she finally moved it so we were both happy.
Heeyyyyy 4 day week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!