Skip to main content

Girls Weekend on Honey Lake

I met the two girls who flew in for our weekend getaway in my work lobby Friday afternoon so they could store their bags while I finished up the work day and they explored Chicago.  As I offered to take the bags upstairs one of the girls said she felt bad having me take both.  The other chimed in, "She carried our water."  I responded, "I have street cred."

And I felt even more excited about the weekend.  You know those people in your life that you've shared an experience with and you are bonded for life.  That's what this is.

All of us lived in Mexico.  In the same house.  Three of them were my roommates.  One lived there the year before me.  We now are spread out in New Jersey, Chicago, San Antonio and Mexico.  Bonded by an extreme, shared experience.  For life.

We don't see each other much.  We don't keep in touch very well, but when we see each other, we pick up right where we left off and the conversation flows.  The conversation flowed all weekend long.


We didn't do a whole lot aside from talking.  We sat on the deck and talked, we walked and talked, we cooked and talked, we drank and talked, we sunbathed and talked.  There was a lot of talking.  It was so wonderful.

We rented a cabin off air bnb in small-town Wisconsin.  Have you heard of Burlington?  I hadn't either.  It was perfect for us though.

It was an excellent chance to slow down and enjoy, which I highly recommend to everyone.  It's important to take a step back.
P.S. Who saw the moon Friday???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Veggie Tinga

I made Vegetarian Tinga for a mexican pot luck I went to on Tuesday.


Many people have never heard of Tinga, let alone knowing you can make it vegetarian style.  You absolutely can!  And it's so easy.


Traditional tinga is made of shredded chicken with chipotle flavoring.  I used cabbage instead of the chicken.


I looked at a lot of different recipes online, but couldn't find a recipe for the veggie tinga I had in mind, so I ended up combining the guidelines of those recipes and making my own.


Here's what I did:


1 onion
1 head of cabbage
1 7oz. can chipotle (the peppers in adobo sauce)
5 ish roma tomatoes
olive oil


-Saute onion in olive oil.
-Chop cabbage (I used youtube to help me figure out the best way to do that) add to onion and saute.
-Blend the chipotle and tomatoes in blender.
Note:  Some people only like to add the sauce from the chipotle peppers.  I added the entire can (including the peppers themselves).  It's up to you depending on how spicy you want it.  (I like my food s…

Registration

*Karen tells me that is not what I'm supposed to say, but it makes sense in my head...

Saturday I was in San Antonio for work, I did get to hang out with a friend while I was in town so that definitely made the trip better, combined with the fact that the volunteers there are just wonderful.

I knew Sunday was going to be overwhelming before I left on Friday.  I always write lists when I'm overwhelmed, I wrote a list.  (Even though I hardly referenced it on Sunday.)  Just writing it down helps me feel better.

Sunday we registered for at two places, starting at 9am.  When we finished the second one (which we were both dragging ourselves through) it felt like it was time for bed...it was 2pm.  Guys, this experience brought so much clarity to people's registerys.  I would not necessarily say it was a fun experience.  And I am very happy Mike seems to have a vision because we would limit the insane number of options down to a couple options together and then I would say I don'…

Moisturizer

I said when I turned 30 in January I was going to start using moisturizer.  Now, 6 months later, I can say I've kind of achieved the goal, but not really...

I have a moisturizer from several years ago, which I received as a Christmas gift.  I used it off and on over the years, mostly off.  I've probably used it more this year than ever before, granted the bar was very low.

I don't like it though.  I don't like the smell or really how it feels either.

Then I heard True Botanicals released a lower-priced Basics collection designed for younger skin, technically for people in their 20s, but whatever.  I decided to try their hydrating oil (the smallest one) to see if I am able to be consistent with use.

First impression: I'm still figuring out how much to use, but I love the smell.