Skip to main content

good-bye chicago: part dos

What a wonderful weekend!

Friday
A great start when the Cards beat the Cubs Friday afternoon 8-3 in case you missed it
Then Kel got her keys to her high rise apartment downtown so we went downtown, got Trader Joe's for dinner (including a high class bottle of Charles Shaw), checked out her new apartment, gym and had dinner on her rooftop. It was beautiful and amazing! I couldn't have asked for a more perfect night. Wine, mediterranean food (that's what I picked), a wonderful friend a
nd a view of the city I love (and am soon leaving behind)....and wonderful conversation
The only down point was when we "jogged" around the rooftop and were attacked by gnats, but that just ended up being funny. =)

Saturday

Started out with a big storm, but it was a fast moving one so that's bearable. I worked a Clif event bright and early to start the day off right. =) It was a quick one so I was able to run home from it and have plenty of time to get ready for the day.
Sarah, Bryan, Kel, & Emily took me out for "Lisa Day." They named it, not me. (I thought it was kind-of embarrassing) They picked me up and I had no idea what we were doing. All I knew was to wear summer clothes and bring a summer dress or something to go out later. They only let me bring a 6-pack because I had it around and wanted to use it.
I got to the car to find out our first stop was sailing! I was so excited. I've wanted to go sailing basically since I moved to Chicago and it was perfect! Our captain, Alex, was very nice (just ask Sarah), it was so relaxing and wonderful. They took care of EVERYTHING too. I have some amazing planners as friends! Words can't even express. It was wonderful and meant so much to me.
But no, the day was not over.
We went back to Sarah's for a little break. And guess who was on TV? The Cards/Cubs game! So we got to watch! The Cards lost, but that's ok. There were some great plays in there...(Molina)
Dinner was at Chicago Diner. Oh, how I love that place. They just know me too well. We sat out back with the little lights draping the trees and it was beautiful!
Then we headed to Bucktown/Wicker Park. I love that area so much! I just don't get to go enough. It's a little out of the way, but I love everything about it. We went to Cans. Another place that I've wanted to go for awhile and dismissed it because I didn't think it would work in during the rest of my time here. I honestly don't even remember telling them that. We were there for a couple hours chatting and rockin the seated dance until we headed to Empire Liquors. What a night!

I honestly cannot explain how much the day meant to me. Sarah gave me a copy of the recommendation letter she sent to IWM for me. And a pair of Toms Shoes. I've wanted a pair of Toms for so long and I was so excited when I saw them. I said, "I can wear these when I play soccer with the kids!" =) I love them and they will always make me think of this wonderful day and the wonderful people that made it happen. And wonderful Sarah for knowing me so well she knew I would love them.


Sarah-I think she should get the award as the most detailed planner out of us. Apparently she delegated jobs to everyone and kept making sure they were following through. Oh if I could send you one of her emails when she's planning an event. She hits everything! =)

Bryan-On that boat I'm not sure why, but Alex designated him
as the helper. (Although I did pull a line once...around Sarah while she was on her phone) =) Alex told him to watch the wind. And oh do we have pictures of him seriously staring up to the sky trying to "watch the wind." The whole time he was steering he looked SO serious, but I knew he was LOVING every minute.








Kel-She took care of lunch and she did a great job! Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for everyone (sliced of course), carrots,
strawberries (rinsed, sliced & sugared), cheese
crackers...oh my! She was so worried about a certain boy at the beginning, but once she found out he was ok she was more relaxed too. I love seeing her so happy with someone.





Emily-"Does anyone else think this tastes like Kool-Aid?" (about beer) =)
She probably had to lie to me the most throughout this process. We were trying to plan sailing for everyone this summer, but she was sneaky so I was letting it go
and I told myself, 'I'm not dying. I'll do it later in life.' But we did it! Then she was asking me where you can get Clif wine in the city because I told her I bought some before. She said her dad is really into the organic wines, which I guess I sort-of thought was weird, but didn't think about it at all. She brought two of them Sat. She didn't buy any for her dad =)





i honestly don't know how this day got here so quickly (and flew by so quickly). when sarah first told me to block off the day it seemed so distant and i thought i had so much time. but here it is and went. oh how time does fly.

I know things will change while I'm gone, but the memories of today can never be touched!

I love them more than words!

Sunday
What better way to start of a beautiful Sunday than yoga in the park? For free of course. My body was CRAVING a break from running (I got a lot of miles in this week). This was another last thing. I can't make it next week so this was my last one and it was very appropriate. The focus was on change: from changes like moving from Chicago to Mexico City to the small changes everyone experiences every moment. Our instructor stressed finding stability in our ever changing, unstable world within ourselves. I dedicated my practice this morning to the group who did so much for me yesterday. My body was happy, my mind was happy, and I was ready for another week when I left.

Bryan & I went to a Cardinals bar to see the day game. I just love the Cardinals =) The game did result in a loss, but it's always good to see the Cardinals and spend more time with Bryan. It was great after the game ended and the Cubs song started Bryan said, "I don't want to hear it." and then a little louder "Turn the TV off." And just like that the sound went out! A second later some music came on (not the Cubs song) so we literally only heard "Go.." and nothing else. =)

Now it seems everyday until i leave i'm saying good-bye to someone. ok maybe not everyday, but it's close. (deep breath) no looking back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!