Skip to main content

good-bye chicago: part tres


Oh LUNA! I worked for LUNA in different facets since Aug. 2007: from being the LUNA Leader (intern at DePaul) to working events around the Chicago region to being the crew captain and I love it all!
Spreading the LUNA love!

On my packing list it suggests bringing some bars to help during the transition phase. I didn't even hesitate...LUNA!

Friday was my goodbye with my boss, Aliy. I couldn't have asked for a better boss. She was always patient and willing to work through everything with me...even if she had to repeat the same thing multiple times. She was always uber helpful and just an amazing person. I loved all our meetings and emails =) She never gives herself enough credit for everything she does. We had a delicious brunch Friday before she headed off to Ragbrai at Uncommon Ground which I go by all the time and I've always wanted to go there. Did you know if you ride your bike there during the week between 11-3 i think they'll give you like 15% off? So nice.
Through everything I've done with LUNA, I met some wonderful people. Ashley, my intern boss, was so understanding and genuinely caring. I always looked forward to our talk every week and always felt better and ready to go when I got off the phone. Jen gets an honorable mention too because she was the intern before me and she was great: from checking in with me and helping out whenever she could- to at the very beginning encouraging me to apply for the position.

Today was my last event. (hence the goodbye post) We worked the Fleet Feet Women's 5K, 10K & Festival. It was wonderful! We started out with a 5am start, but I couldn't have asked for a better crew to end with! They were all GREAT! We were able to chat, goof around a little, and work! We had a great balance going on =) The consumers weren't pushy or demanding AND I got to run the race! Can't really ask for anything else.

I was lucky enough to run three races through Clif this season: Soldier Field 10 mile, WonderGirl 5K, & Fleet Feet Women's 10K. Today was the 10K...my last one. They were all special and unique and I loved them all! Today at the Women's run they gave all the finishers carnations =) and I love how at many of the races up north other runners that are out for their morning jog will stop to cheer on the racers. It's just so nice. I won't lie...I'm not sure I would.
I'm getting my 20 mile run in this week before I depart the wonderful running atmosphere in Chicago. I just love it! There's a great balance between the cars to the crowded lakeshore path to the calmness south of Soldier Field it's all perfect to work through life in my head. No ipod for distraction-just me, my running shoes and pavement.
Oh and my zebra. =) Well, it's not mine. It's been with me for 4 years though. It's on Fullerton near Geneva. It's in the window of a home along there and I would always run past it on my way home at the end of a run and I always say, "Hey Zebra." Yes. For four years =) I try to be quieter if I'm passing someone. I'd like to thank whomever lives there for always having their blinds open (I can only think of a couple times they were closed. It was an added bonus when their dog sat in the window too.) Another little funny tradition I did (generally on runs over like 15 miles) I get to Geneva and start repeating "Geneva the Zebra!" over and over in my head (sometimes out loud). The Zebra was always a sign I was almost home. =)

I do wish I could run the marathon again this year, but I won't lie. I looked up the marathon in Mexico City. We'll see what happens with that. It's in September so most likely not this year...maybe next. I don't know. I don't know if I'll be able to run where I'm living at all and I know the atmosphere is supposed to be very different. There are a lot of unknown variables that may prevent this. I'm not going to start planning...I'm going with the flow.

When did I start running? Funny you should ask. I think it goes back to 6th grade. I wanted new tennis shoes...one's with actual traction on the bottom, not the ones where I slid across the gym floor. Mom didn't think I needed them or would use them so she told me I could have new shoes if I ran everyday for a month or 3 months...I can't actually remember. I had to make a log and everyday after I ran Mom would sign off that I did. I mean I only went like 1/2 mile everyday, but that's when I got started. I think I really started racking in the miles once I came to DePaul. Chicago is just so conducive to running.
I still have those shoes in Missouri. I used to use them to mow the lawn (after I wore them out from running). I DID use them. And I still wear my shoes out! I usually get to the point that I feel like my feet are right on the concrete before I make myself buy a new pair and then my feet couldn't be happier!

i hate good-byes. in fact, i probably suck at them to be honest.
no looking back

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!