Skip to main content

To inspire exploration & understanding of our universe

the mission of the adler

i switched up my commute again.  well, i switched up everything besides the running to the bus part.  every morning.
after having beautiful weather in missouri this weekend it was rough to come back to snow in my face and the gross cold again.  i decided i just wanted to get on the bus and read.  not transfer at all and be at the adler.  so i tried it.  maybe i just get bored when i get in a rut?  anyway it's been working quite well.  as long as i put myself in a space that's not by the door, which lets cold air in all the time i pull out my book, stick in my music and forget it's still winter.  i'm reading the devil in the white city right now.  and i like it.  although a little disturbing.

work started off with an all staff meeting.  it was super interesting actually.  we learned about the possible attempt to get a space shuttle at the adler.  as well as learning more about the sky theater renovation progress and i found out when bike to work week is:  may 16-20.  i hear the museums at museum campus has a little competition with who puts in the most miles  i'll contribute =)  actually, i can't wait!


we left early to do a field trip.  did two kindergarden and first grade field trips.  ran downstairs and felt like i swallowed a luna bar on my way out the door to park voyagers.  after some confusion with the igo car (that's a tradition of the first day of the week for park voyagers that i would really like to break) which involved me running to the car.  dealing with additional traffic than usual because of an extreme pothole.  we headed to durkin park, which was a very different group of kids than graver, but it keeps us on our toes.  
*one fun story from durkin's today.  we have the kids name their rockets...just because.  i ask this group of 3 girls what their name is and they said JB's.  I said ok and was planning to leave it at that.  Banesa informed me it's for Justin Bieber.  I laughed (with her, don't worry)

when i got off the el at belmont i had hunger pains and my feet felt 3 times heavier than usual.  i looked to find the next bus was in 8 minutes.  no way was i waiting 8 minutes so i started walking.  to distract myself from the hunger pains i sang with my ipod.  out loud.  i definitely didn't care.  one song that played was even one of my spanish tunes so i got to practice my spanish too.

i made some corn bread for a treat tonight and i'm enjoying my homemade granola bars that i made last weekend.  although, honestly they're not very good so i'm not going to share the recipe.

and that's about how my week's been.  

crazy.

i haven't had a lunch hour all week and i'm exhausted.

i worked on surveys, which took me back to some of my marketing classes.... thank the lord that minor is coming in handy some way.  i took observational surveys, testing out a possible new activity for an exhibit.  so i stood there like a creeper and watched people and afterwards i told them i was watching and asked a few questions.  people still came up and asked me questions.  i wonder how they knew i worked there?  maybe it was the clipboard.
the president of the adler came by several times so i got to chit chat with him about the survey as well as exhibit folks, which i think it's a great to make as many connections as possible.  annie, one of my co-workers i'm doing this survey for, did a lot of the introducing while she was showing me how it works.  annie's one of my favorites at work.  she definitely keeps things interesting and has endless energy.  she also calls me sunshine.
now i'm making a report, but i don't have time to make it.  oh my goodness.

i have a tour tomorrow that i'm not prepared for and am going to cram for tomorrow morning.  man oh man.

it definitely keeps things interesting, which i enjoy much more than being bored.  so bring it on!


----------------------

we went through the summer schedule last week at a department meeting and wow.  i mean i'm super excited for the sky theater to reopen, but there are going to be A LOT of events the month leading up to the opening.  lots of mornings and saturdays.  press, vip, etc.  

i booked a lot of dome dates for april it could get to going to a different school almost everyday.
they're also going to hire someone to help me in the summer!  yea!  i always like new faces =)

last week we had a group of kindergardeners come in from a school in logan square that's 80% spanish speaking and 20% english at the school.  it was so fun.  the kids' names were just like my kiddos in mexico.  i talked to karen about it and said there was an israel and i thought a gael.  she asked if there was a felipe?  oh felipe.  so much fun.  he kept kissing karen's feet when she was visiting and made her a little uncomfortable.  but we always laugh when we talk about it.
oh i can't wait until i can lead a group like them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!