Skip to main content

happy earth day!!!

did you know earth day has a theme?  it does.  a billion acts of green.

i've been thinking about earth day for awhile as we started planning for earth day at work months ago.  the statement we came up with to develop our programming is: 
Earth is special because it provides us with everything we need to survive, like liquid water and breathable air.  We haven't yet found any other planet like the Earth.  We can do a lot to celebrate and protect the things that make Earth special.  
We ended up developing a sort-of dating game show with planets/moons and their characteristics.  The point is:  Earth Wins!  I sat in a rehearsal (i was a contestant for awhile) yesterday and it's super cute. =)

as we prepared and execute a special cart to honor earth day at work it made me pretty upset because for some reason i felt like news stations used to have "green week" and talk about green tips everyday and i haven't watched a lot of news, but i don't think they did it this week.  i have my fingers crossed they'll do something big today.  i'm sorry, but i feel earth day is more important than the fact that there's a royal wedding next friday.  this is this friday.  and it's earth day!

i'm a pretty green person.  or i try to be.  But I think we can all learn a little more earth friendly tips or facts.  (that's why i wish the news was doing green week.)  

i have a couple tips here... but there are ALL kinds for you to think about what works best for YOU.  here's another list that's out there

*bottled water.  watch this video.  it's super informative and short.  i mean why not carry a reusable bottle with you?  it may seem like work at first, but then you don't even think about it as you throw a reusable bottle in your bag.  i fill it up before i leave and if i need more water throughout the day.  no problem.  i just fill it up again.   aaaannnndddd... i don't have to pay for bottled water either
i've also become a big fan of that site's blog.  
*bags bags and more bags.  i think it would make me sick to count how many plastic bags i see in one day.  ugh and the ones that have 1 item in them.  canvas bags are so easy.  i know they put out a press release in the last few months about them getting dirty and therefore infecting your clothes.  throw them in the wash every once in a while.  glad i could solve that problem.  

p.s. starbucks is doing a free drip coffee day for anyone who brings in a reusable mug.  i'm planning to hit that up at some point.  
i've reached the point that if i don't have a reusable cup with me, i won't get a drink.  maybe a little extreme?  maybe.  but that's me.  you may find me walking down the street holding groceries as well.  if i need to pick up a couple items and for some reason didn't bring a bag i will carry it.  plastic bags + me does not happen.
anyways, i actually rarely go to starbucks anymore (i prefer the local places), but i think this is super nice of starbucks.

as for me i have a meeting at a different museum and my boss suggested i rent an igo to get there.  but i said i'll be fine taking the buses to get there.
green point for me
then i'm flying home to be with my family for easter
probably minus bunches of green points

so my challenge for you:  
do something "green" today
or if you feel up to it pick something you can start doing and continue doing.  make it a routine in your life.  sometimes it becomes difficult to realize you ARE making a difference, but you have to think of the small things.
come on folks, we have to get those billion acts of green!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!