Skip to main content

trip of a lifetime

i've had some pretty horrid travel experiences this past year, but this one definitely comes close to taking the cake.


travel started at 5 o'clock with my bus ride to the el after work.  whew.  the museums were busy friday so the bus was brimming with tourists who don't understand the bus system.  i escaped that craziness and hopped on the el to midway airport.
my 7:30 flight was already delayed, but not to terribly so.  i read and waited.
they continue to delay my flight
we all board.  the plane gets in the line to take off.  we're just hanging out on the runway waiting our turn when...
they turn off the engines and say st. louis is being hit by a major storm.  so we're going to wait for it to pass.  next announcement:  the airport was hit by a tornado, it might be two hours.  we're going to sit.  next announcement:  the airport was closed indefinitely.  we're going back to the gate.  
when we were leaving the gate the two ladies on either side of me said something about the weather in st. louis (they started the conversation before i got on).  and that was the first i heard about bad weather in st. louis.  the next thing i knew i was back at the gate, confused.
we depart the plane at 9 and we all stand around talking out possible scenarios.  then they announce they're canceling the flight to st. louis and the plane is going to oklahoma.
i decided i'm going to take the night megabus because from what i'm hearing, i don't think lambert will be open saturday morning either.  the two girls i sat with rebooked their flights for the next morning.  one left and the other wanted her luggage as she decided whether to get a discount hotel or sleep on a cot in the terminal.  
we put in our requests for our bags at 9:30
we have a seat because we're prepared to wait a while.  we talk about our lives and surprisingly get in pretty deep.  we continue to meet people and compare stories.
i'm getting anxious around 10:30 when pieces of luggage are coming out very... very slowly
i decide i should probably get on my way by 11 or i might miss my megabus.  it's 11 and i'm struggling to decide what i should do.  my bags are ready to go at 11:02 that was LUCKY
and i take off running to the el.
i get off the el and take off running to the bus stop.
i get there 5 minutes before the bus leaves.  11:55 we're on our way to st. louis in a full bus
a couple years ago the megabus was canceled because we got hit with a snow storm and karen & i were hosting greta's bridal shower the next day so i booked a southwest flight and got out of chicago.  so it was megabus's turn.


usually i sleep so well when i travel.  not this trip.  i could not fall asleep on the bus for quite awhile.  i can't explain how happy i was to see the arch at 5 am


and... the grand total for time traveling ...........  12 hours


i told karen:  today's going to have to be a coffee morning...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike