Skip to main content

Yummy Dinners

While we were at the lake last week, my parents rented a house that we stayed in.  This made it so easy for us to cook dinner, lunch, breakfast.  
Mom had the idea for each of us to take a day or two to cook dinner and it worked out swimmingly.


Here's a look at our week of dinners:


Saturday As we arrived, Mom & Dad treated us to some pizza out on the town =)  We went to Chicago Brothers Pizza & Pub.  It was delicious and I enjoyed leftovers from there for the majority of the week for lunch.


Sunday Karen stepped up for Mexican night.
She made chicken quesadillas with rice and chips and salsa.
Veggie Version (I know I'm difficult and hard for some people to grasp me being a vegetarian and What I Eat, but everyone was super nice to have a modification for me at meals.)
Cheese quesadilla, which I took some tomato from the fridge and chopped it up to go in the quesadilla as well.
Did I forget to mention the margaritas?
There were margaritas too.

Karen's so proud of her creation.
Dessert Karen lucked out and Greta made a peanut butter pie that was so delicious.  I'm not sure how she knew about my obsession with peanut butter, but she nailed it!


Monday Jeff & Greta brought lasagna that Greta made at home so all they had to do was heat it up!  Smart!
Veggie Version: Veggie Lasagna too!


Tuesday
Lunch Dad & Jeff grilled burgers and corn on the cob.
Veggie Version:  Veggie burger

Dinner We went to the outlet mall in the afternoon on Tuesday so we ended up going to Li'l Rizzo's on the way to the house.
Karen & I stopped at Andy's frozen custard for dessert on the way from the restaurant to the house.  I ordered a brownie, pretzel sundae and it was pretty delicious.  I like the sweet and salty combination.  I was a little surprised by the chunk of brownie they put in, but I realized it was all soft and warm so super easy to break up, however I wished.

Wednesday Jeff & Greta stepped up again with some delicious Hobo Dinners that Greta made all the time with her family camping growing up.
They chopped up tons of veggies:  zucchini, cabbage, carrots, mushrooms, squash, etc.  They had those frozen little squares of potatoes and then a hamburger size patty of ground beef.  We all got to make our own little dinners according to what we wanted.  They wrapped them up in foil and put it on the grill (with our names on them, of course).
Veggie Version:  Lot's of veggies, no beef.
We also had some watermelon, which was so good!
Dessert:  S'mores.  I don't remember the last time I had s'mores before the trip, but they were gooooooooooood.


Thursday This was my day to cook and I choose to make a stir fry.
I only put in broccoli and carrots this time.  I also chose to use noodles, instead of rice.  I stirred it all up in a pot (there wasn't a wok), but it still tasted delicious, so the wok isn't necessarily necessary folks.
I did find it challenging to cook for 6 people.  That's like a 600% increase from what I'm used to.  Next time I would definitely add more veggies.
We also had watermelon with this dinner as well.  And the rest of the s'mores for dessert.


Friday We went to have dinner at a restaurant part of the resort we were staying in.  I was completely dehydrated from a complete day in the sun so I couldn't drink more than 2 sips of my wine (thanks Karen), but besides that, it was lovely.


And there is it!  
Are you heading to a vacation with lots of people and looking for dinner ideas?  These all worked out wonderfully for us.


It was also super helpful that Greta brought cinnamon rolls, which we enjoyed for most of the week for breakfast, cookies, bars, and a snack mix!  Yummy!
Mom & Dad also brought some delicious fruit and bread from their farmer's market.  So good!  


*Hopefully next week sometime I'll do a post on the actual stuff we did while at the Lake.  I completely disconnected (my phone was in my room all day, I didn't carry any electronics around with me) so I don't have any pictures yet.  I definitely took pictures with other people's cameras, but none on mine.  Once I get pictures from others I'll do a little post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Skyline Views

I finished reading My Heart is an Idiot a couple weeks ago.  The author lived in Chicago for a bit and had several essays in the book where he mentioned Chicago. In one essay he mentioned the skyline view from Augusta & Wood.  I was curious so I decided to go for a bike ride and check out this "amazing" view of the skyline. This was it, people.   Hmmm.... I think I had a better view on the Damen bridge just north of Fullerton on my way there.  I am a sucker for the unexpected skyline views around the city (like on Damen).  I'll also throw in the view from Chicago and Halsted.  Also the orange line between Western and 35th/Archer is pretty amazing.  Do you have any places you love to take in the unexpected view? I'm not talking the Adler... I consider that expected.

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!