Skip to main content

Reuniting with a dear Friend

After an absesnce from the library for a bit, I'm now back and just as much in love as ever!  We're reunited!  (Hello, winter ;)
The library is ever so giving.  (Yes, sometimes I have to wait a bit for what I want, but I eventually get it.)  And all it asks in return is that I return my books/dvds/etc. by their due date for the next person to use.  Not so difficult.
Best relationship ever?

Lately here are some lovlies the Library has brought into my life:

Love Etc.
A cute little documentary that followed 4 or 5 different love stories and their very different relationships.

Main Street Vegan - Victoria Moran
helpful definitions provided at the beginning courtesy of Victoria:
vegan eats vegetables, fruits, beans, grains, nuts, and seeds, and delicious dishes made from them; they don't eat meat, fowl, fish, eggs, or dairy products; honey is left to individual discretion
there are health vegan and ethical vegan variations
vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat anybody who had a face.  That means no meat, poultry, or fish.  
You'll sometimes run into people who say, "I'm vegetarian, but I eat fish."  Somebody even coined the hyphenation peso-vegetarian, but that's a contradiction in terms.
Whew... she even had more confusing definitions than that, which I'm not going to include here.  Why all the labels?   
If you're even sort-of on the fence of becoming a vegan this book very well might push you over the edge.  She doesn't encourage vegetarianism.  Veganism is what she wants!  She presents her point in an interesting way. It's not one of those books with stat after stat.
I'd heard about locavores before.  I appreciate locavores & what they try to do.  She says "It's interesting to note that transportation accounts for only 10 percent of food's overall energy cost."  The way I look at it, every bit helps.
Pretty sure Ms. Victoria would enjoy this article about how Americans eat, even though the article's author isn't quite as direct.

The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
Wow!  He is such an intelligent writer and addresses SO MANY different societal issues!  I really wish I could read this book with a book club because they were just coming at me so quickly I didn't even digest half of them.  
Labeling (people) has been on my mind a lot lately and it was brought up in the book as well:
"I'm not anything," Denise said.  "I'm just me."
She wanted above all to be a private person, an independent individual.  She didn't want to belong to any group... She didn't want a label, she didn't want a lifestyle...

One Last Strike - Tony LaRussa
Did they think there no other Cardinals fans in Chicago?  They literally had two copies in all of Chicago Libraries.  When I reserved it I was sure I wouldn't see it for months (since so many other people would be reading it).  But I hoped and hoped.  And I never got it...
My dad got it for Christmas & let me read it, even before him!  
I loved it!  But to be fair if you don't love baseball, you probably won't enjoy it very much.

With my love of the library professed, I also need to acknowledge how much I love my local bookstore.  I swear every time I go in I could spend $100 if I didn't have any willpower.  I love it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!