Skip to main content

Weekend Fun

How was your weekend?

My parents came to visit so we got to check out some Lakeview wonderfulness.  Ever since I started college in Chicago my parents come visit every year around my birthday (I'm pretty sure that's true.  I can't remember one they didn't.)  And every year they say how crazy they are to come to Chicago in January.  And every year I reply that it's not my fault.  
This year however we had extremely above average temps for our adventures.

On their way to my place they were able to experience the joys of Chicago traffic ;) and then I dragged them to Chicago Diner.  Which I love, but I don't force them to go very often.  We went and waited for our table... Mom really enjoyed her vegan shake & potato skins.  I waited until she said she liked it to inform her it was vegan.  Dad's a good sport...

Saturday we went to their fav brunch place, Ann Sather's, for brunch before heading downtown.  
We didn't really have a plan, but we ended up walking Dad to a Lincoln bookstore where they just happened to be hosting a book signing and talk from the author.  Mom & I decided to leave and walk around while Dad stayed for the talk.  He really enjoyed it & he enjoyed the bookstore as well.  New favorite place?
We met up and headed back to my place for some afternoon birthday cake.  They brought up Grandma's special cake and we all fully enjoyed every bite!
Yes, it's a lot of candles.  I'm old.
I was actually surprised since we usually put like 2 candles on one side of the cake and 6 on the other side for 26.  But no, I got 26 candles.  (No, I didn't actually count.)

We had dinner at a Lakeview Mediterranean restaurant:  Casbah Delicious, people.  Delicious.  We missed the BYOB memo, but that's ok.  The next morning Mom said how every time they come visit they think, 'Oh, that was so good.  Can't wait to have that again.  But we never seem to go to the same place twice'  There are just SO many places to try!
Went to see Pygmalion at The Wit theater.  Apparently this is the original My Fair Lady.  Dad & I were discussing whether there are differences during intermission & I looked down at the guy in front of us & he googled My Fair Lady on his phone.  Looks like Dad is educating everyone!

Saturday night on our walk back to my parents' hotel from the theater Mom told me how I shouldn't walk on dark streets, like the one we were on, alone at night.  I stayed with them for a bit then I left and Mom asked me to call when I got home... Well, I forgot.  I'm not used to people checking in on me.  My phone was still on silent from the play.  My work phones started ringing as I laid in bed and I thought, 'Who is calling me after midnight on a Saturday night?  That is so rude.'  Clearly, I didn't get up to look.  Then next thing I know someone is pounding on my door.  As I bolted from bed I remember I was supposed to call Mom & Dad.  There was Dad standing at my door to make sure I got home safely.  Oh my.  I apologized & did feel bad (especially because it was sleeting).  Have your parents ever done anything like this when you're 26 and make the walk alone all the time?  
It's nice that they care & I laughed as I wrote it out, but I'm pretty sure they weren't so happy with me.
(no, i'm not technically 26 yet, but I'm embracing it.)
My parents are awesome.

Happy Birthday to Me!  And Happy new week to all of you!
Hope you had a great weekend too!  Let's get through this week so we can have another ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!