Skip to main content

Notes from San Antonio

I actually had a pretty great time in San Antonio the last few days for work.  This may have something to do with the glorious heat (the high was in the upper 90s every single day), my determination to get away from the Riverwalk area and actually experience San Antonio, getting to know people in this field (this is my 3rd conference) and starting to feel I fit in, or my amazing deck.  Yes, I had my own deck with a table and 4 chairs, where I sat for a bit every single day.
sunset from my deck ;)

Eating
I didn't eat on the Riverwalk once so if that's what you're looking for, you won't find these notes helpful.  San Antonio Magazine was in my room when I checked-in and I referenced it for ideas.  I went to:

on the walk to Sweet Yams
This stop was mostly for reminiscing.  We ate here when I was at training in San Antonio before heading to Mexico and I wanted to go back pretty much purely for that reason.  I made my way back to Market Square and did just that.
Perk of eating alone:  no wait.  The wait was easily a half hour for everyone else.  They just sat me at the counter.  And it's a good way to make friends with fellow solo diners.  The one I met, just happened to be from Jefferson County, Missouri.

  • Oasis - This is where I got the infamous flour tortillas that I think are so similar to pancakes that I remember so fondly from San Antonio.  (Although I think of them as dessert.)  FYI This place was a bit tough to find the veggie options....
  • Green - I got the kale salad as a side here and it was the best kale I've ever eaten!  It was the way they prepared it, but I definitely recommend their kale salad!
  • Señor Veggie
can't beat their adorable patio

In my opinion,  it's a challenge to find vegetables in this city.  I did my best though!

Running
Here are several suggestions to running San Antonio.  I looked this over and ended up running the Riverwalk one day, but pretty much used the guide as an idea generator and went from there.

Outdoor Pools
There was a lovely outdoor pool at the hotel and Monday I decided to go for a morning swim, rather than run.  I got to the pool, started swimming my makeshift laps, looked up, and the beautiful full moon was above me.  It was amazing.  I could seriously see the maria.

HemisFair Park
Sunday I walked out of the convention center through a different door and saw a sign for UNAM.  UNAM?  Wait.  UNAM is a major university in Mexico City (they always do a huge offerings display for día de los muertos).  Apparently they have an outpost in San Antonio.  Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed HemisFair Park.

The Conference
Generally I was visited by a few types:  the young, single guy looking to chat, the older guy who I remind of his daughter/granddaughter, the lady looking at the giveaways, or, the least likely, the person who had me on their agenda of places to visit.
Monday afternoon was the best as I had made friends with the people exhibiting by me at that point and everyone had settled in enough that other people I knew there had time to come chat.  
The toughest part of exhibiting is you have approximately a second to figure out why they are coming over (and they're all visiting for different reasons).

So basically outside of conference time, all I did was eat and sit on my deck...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen Safety

We moved!  We're in our new place and we just got wifi.  Wahoo! I definitely broke in the kitchen quickly.  I was making a panini type sandwich for a potluck get together so I preheated the oven.  The next thing I knew the fire alarm was going off.  Let me tell you they did not skimp on a very loud fire alarm.  Ahhhhhhhh I opened the oven, which I know you're not supposed to do.  In the moment, I think I needed to see what I was dealing with.  There were definite flames.  Ahhhhhhhh So I called Mike while trying to google what to do.  He was super calm the entire call while I freaked out (it probably helped that he couldn't see the smoke billowing out of the oven).   He said to throw baking soda on it.  I did.  It seemed to fizzle but came back. I searched the apartment for a fire extinguisher (maybe I should have looked for one before this moment). This is while I kept trying to silence the fire alarm (to no avail) and open windows to let out smoke. Then Mike
I have a few things to update on today =) Oh I just finished the best meal I've had since I arrived and it was oh sooooo good! I'm so full and happy right now! It was a mexican meal so at least i know i'm going to the right country. yesterday Tere asked me to lead a little yoga class. automatically i said yes because that's how i am, but on the walk from the classroom to outside i started to get nervous. the only person i ever lead in yoga was karen & she laughed the majority of the time (it doesn't really count). i just took deep breaths and i did it. it actually was great. once we started i was able to integrate some favorite posses of the people in the class it was great towards the end when marcelle (who is rather soft spoken, but i love her) lead a few poses as well. i was actually happy with myself. namaste i love our group. everyone is similar that we all have this interest to do missionary work, but we are all very unique and different at the s

Spring!

Yes, I know it is not spring yet.   Today's the meteorological beginning of spring or something, isn't it? I definitely suffered some winter blues last month (yeah, it's March!). Check out these tulip fields for your Friday! Normann Szkop  took awesome photos while flying over Dutch  tulip fields . ( via ) p.s. Two days later I'm still feeling amazing after my juice cleanse .  Yes, it's possible that's not what it's from, but considering nothing else has really changed (except starting a new month, which I am so excited about), it's getting the credit. HAPPY FRIDAY & HAPPY MARCH!